Ohio State women’s soccer’s season will continue after a big day on and off the pitch.
On the field, the No. 21-ranked Buckeyes beat Nebraska, 1-0, in a Big Ten Tournament opening-round match Wednesday to advance to the next round of competition. Off the field, five OSU players received conference honors, the Big Ten announced.
OSU, the Big Ten Tournament’s No. 2-seed, got the eventual game-winner from sophomore midfielder Ellyn Gruber just before halftime. Buckeyes freshman goalkeeper Jillian McVicker made one save in the game to help OSU advance.
Prior to the game, the Big Ten Conference announced that five OSU players had received honors, including record-setting senior forward Tiffany Cameron.
Cameron, along with junior midfielder Danica Wu, was named a first-team All-Big Ten selection to add to her recent success. On Monday, Cameron was named Big Ten Player of the Week for the second consecutive week after scoring twice in a 5-0 win against Indiana to become OSU’s all-time leading goal scorer.
After entering the match against the Hoosiers tied with former Buckeyes Lisa Collison and Lara Dickenmann for the all-time goals lead with 35, Cameron grabbed the record herself with two goals in the team’s regular season finale.
Wu was a second team All-Big Ten selection last season and earned the first-team honor despite missing four games on international duty with Canada’s U-20 team.
OSU senior midfielder/forward Kendyl Reed, McVicker and junior goalkeeper Rachel Middleman were also honored by the conference, according to a Wednesday OSU release.
Reed was tabbed a second team All-Big Ten selection after posting one assist in 18 starts for the Buckeyes while McVicker was named to the Big Ten’s All-Freshman Team after allowing just four goals in almost 734 minutes in goal this season.
Middleman was the Buckeyes’ sportsmanship honoree.
Members of OSU women’s soccer were not immediately made available for The Lantern’s Wednesday request for comment.
OSU (14-4-1) will continue Big Ten Conference play Friday against either No. 3-seeded Michigan or No. 6-seeded Wisconsin. Kickoff for the tournament’s semifinal-round game is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. in Bloomington, Ind.