Ohio State women’s soccer senior forward Tiffany Cameron and defender Lauren Granberg made the most of their final regular season home game at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Cameron and Granberg found the back of the net against Michigan State in a 3-1 victory Sunday.
Cameron, who broke the Ohio State single-season record for goals scored during the Michigan game Thursday, connected for two additional goals against Michigan State Sunday afternoon. In addition to upping her single-season record to 16, Cameron tied the OSU career goals record with 35.
Her first goal of the day came in the 23rd minute of the first period with assists from sophomore midfielder Ellyn Gruber and freshman forward Michela Paradiso.
“I’m really really happy,” Cameron said. “I’m proud of myself that I pushed through all of the previous years that I struggled to score and I’m finally on it.”
Cameron found the back of the net again 14 minutes later on a header which came from a corner kick by junior defender Megan Fuller, who sent the ball flying to sophomore midfielder Caroline Murray and Granberg, who were credited with the assists.
Cameron, part of the most successful senior class in OSU history with 55 wins, was not the only senior to score.
Granberg, who had a season-high eight shots on goal against MSU, scored with 10 minutes left to play in the game on a header from Fuller. A tough MSU defense totaled seven saves against the Buckeyes thanks to goalkeepers redshirt sophomore Courtney Clem and freshman Gabrielle Gauruder.
Granberg nearly had her first goal of the day in the second period but narrowly missed high, knocking it off the crossbar.
“Sometimes it doesn’t turn out,” Granberg said of the shots blocked by Michigan State defense, “As long as our team wins, that’s all that matters.”
The Buckeyes had a total of 25 shots on goal against the Spartans, the most this season.
Defensively, OSU was able to limit the Spartans to only eight shots on goal, the second fewest this season. The Buckeyes have had fewer shots allowed (seven) in games against Hofstra, Northeastern, Syracuse and Duquesne.
In the net for most of the game with three saves on the day was freshman goalkeeper Jillian McVicker. With three minutes left to play, senior goalkeeper Jessie Greenberg was subbed in for Senior Day.
“Michigan State has some threats,” said coach Lori Walker. “I think we did a nice job of keeping pressure on the ball for the most of the match.”
The Buckeyes are 8-1 when outshooting opponents.
The OSU band was present during the first part of the game and played songs such as “Hang on Sloopy,” and other chants to involve the crowd of 554 in the last home game of the season.
“It’s a great atmosphere. We had the band out today, it’s a beautiful day. It’s just so fun to be able to play in front of our family and our friends,” Walker said. “It just makes for a really great Sunday afternoon.”
Playing for the last time during the regular season was an emotional experience for some members of the senior class, especially Cameron and Granberg.
“It’s very overwhelming,” Cameron said. “Even before the game I shed a few tears. I was really emotional. I can’t believe this time has flew by.”
Granberg agreed.
“The girls I’ve met, the people I’ve met, the amount of things we’ve gone through as a team really means a lot to me,” she said. “This is a whole chapter of my life that I’ll never forget.”
The Buckeyes advanced their record 12-4-1 and 7-2-1 in Big Ten play. They are scheduled to play Thursday at Indiana at 7 p.m. for the last regular season game of the year. The Big Ten Tournament begins Oct. 31.