Divine Fits is not equal to the sum of its parts, and that’s because it isn’t trying to be.

Though the band rejects the title “supergroup,” Divine Fits is just that in the sense that its three members come from already-established bands.

Lead singer Britt Daniel has fronted rock ‘n’ roll group Spoon for 19 years.

Guitarist and vocalist Dan Boeckner played with Canada-based indie rock band Wolf Parade for nine years.

Drummer and Columbus native Sam Brown, who belongs to New Bomb Turks, which decided to “suspend all activity for the time being,” according to its website, said Divine Fits is a project unlike anything the members have previously worked on.

Divine Fits is scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Newport Music Hall with The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

“I think being the band that we are, you know, we’re not being Spoon, we’re not Wolf Parade, we’re not any of the bands we’ve been in. Britt’s songs are going to sound like Britt, Dan’s songs as well, but the way we all sound together is completely different,” Brown said. “Eventually people will stop talking about the other bands we were in and see that we’re a new band. We sound like ourselves.”

The band released its debut album “A Thing Called Divine Fits” Aug. 28.

Brown said the group already has another album on its mind, which it hopes to tour in support of in the future.

Divine Fits went on a brief tour through each member’s hometown in August. Brett Ruland, owner of Spoonful Records, located at 116 E. Long St., was at the band’s Columbus show Aug. 6 at Ace of Cups, located at 2619 N. High St.

“I love them,” Ruland said. “Their live performance is even better than the record.”

Ruland also said he is a big fan of Brown.

“Sam Brown is my favorite rock drummer in Columbus, so I’ve pretty much followed every band that he has been involved with.” Ruland said.

Talent buyer at PromoWest Productions, Adam Vanchoff, said Divine Fits should make for a great fit for Columbus concertgoers.

“Spoon and Wolf Parade have done well in the market and with CD101 supporting the Divine Fits records it makes sense to have them play in Columbus,” Vanchoff said.

Brown, who is an Ohio State alumnus, said he is proud of Columbus’ music scene and considers the quality of music to be higher than ever.

“Because of the Internet, kids come to college with a deep understanding of the music that came before them because of everything that’s available to them,” Brown said.

“Instead of getting to college and having your roommate play the Violent Femmes for you, blowing your mind, then proceeding to start a band six months later after you’ve absorbed all this music, people show up to school already knowing who The Stooges are and knowing about all the great underground music.”

Tickets are available for $18 in advance and $20 the day of the show and can be purchased through Ticketmaster or at the Newport, located at 1722 N. High St.