The Ohio State-Michigan football rivalry is a passionate subject for many, and Columbus radio host Scott Torgerson let that passion get the better of him.
Torgerson, a co-host of “The Common Man and The Torg” show on WBNS 97.1 The Fan in Columbus, was suspended by the radio station after wishing death on former Michigan football star and current ESPN analyst Desmond Howard. The suspension is indefinite, according to multiple reports.
Howard currently works as a co-host for ESPN’s traveling, live college football show, “College GameDay.” 97.1 The Fan also happens to be an ESPN affiliate.
From his Twitter account, @myguythetorg, Torgerson tweeted Saturday: “I wish Desmond Howard would get fired or die so I can watch Gameday again.”
Torgerson later issued an apology on Twitter, saying: “My Desmond Howard tweet was a joke. I think if you listen to the show you know that. My apologizes to those who took it serious. Total joke.”
The apology arrived too late for Kirk Herbstreit and Howard’s wife.
Herbstreit, an ESPN analyst, co-host of “College GameDay” with Howard, and former OSU quarterback, criticized Torgerson during “The Kirk Herbstreit Show,” which airs on 97.1 The Fan.
“I think what Desmond Howard had to deal with over the weekend is disgusting and very sad,” Herbstreit said. “I don’t know the reason behind it, but the tweet from an individual that works at the radio station was above and beyond, I think, what was acceptable … There’s so much more I wish I could say about that and I’ll choose not to … To me he crossed a line and that’s just completely unacceptable.”
Howard’s wife, Rebkah Howard, responded to Torgerson on Twitter as well.
From Rebkah Howard’s Twitter account, @pink_funk, she said: “(thanks) for the ‘apologizes’. Are you fortunate enough to be a father? Know who didn’t get your ‘total (dead) joke’? Our daughter.”
Torgerson did not immediately respond to The Lantern’s Tuesday request for comment.