While the world didn’t end on Friday as the Mayans may or may not have predicted, something did happen to raise questions about the state of the world, or at least the music world, in its remaining form.

On Friday, the video for “Gangnam Style,” the hit song by Korean pop singer PSY, whose real name is Park Jae-sang, that migrated to the mainstream this year, became the first to hit one billion views on YouTube.

In July, the video was posted on YouTube and steadily grew in popularity in the United States, where it peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

“Gangnam Style” became a Halloween costume, a favorite song to bust out at parties with the accompanying dance moves and was, unfortunately, stuck in my head for hours every time I heard it.

For some, the question still remains of how the song even became so popular. I still question its charm and question the motivation for radio DJs to play it seemingly nonstop for months.

Was it the obscure dance moves PSY performed in the music video? The ridiculous action, including fiery theatrics, in the video? Or did the song’s popularity spring from the tune itself? I mean, many of the song’s biggest fans don’t actually know what he’s singing.

Two lines of the song are, “Na je nun ta sa ro un in gan jo gin yo ja / Ko pi han ja ne yo yu rul a neun pum gyo gi nun yo ja,” but if I hadn’t known that before looking at these words, I would probably write them off as nonsense.

The singer himself said he was even surprised by the video’s popularity.

“Honestly, when I made this video I didn’t even expect 1 million views, because this is off my sixth album in Korea, so I just hoped it would be huge there,” PSY said in an interview with MTV.

Yet people love the song, and since hitting one billion views, the video’s popularity has only continued to grow. As of Friday afternoon, the count was up by more than two million views.

While I don’t personally understand the craze, I was happy to hear last month that the video “Gangnam Style” dethroned Justin Bieber’s music video for the even more awful song “Baby,” as the most-viewed video on YouTube.

Hearing that Bieber’s popularity is slipping, even if it’s just a little bit in one instance, is always good news.