Home » Sports » Ohio State’s men’s, women’s diving finish strong during weekend meet on campus

Ohio State’s men’s, women’s diving finish strong during weekend meet on campus

The Ohio State men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams finished the OSU Invitational strong, with the men winning the invitational and the women placing third, behind Florida and Stanford.
This contest marked the fourth-consecutive championship in which the No. 10-ranked men’s team finished with 300 or more more points than their competitors.
“We really appreciate Florida, North Carolina, Texas, Wisconsin and everyone else who came to participate in our meet because without great competition, there are not great races or opportunity to compete against good coaches and good programs,” said men’s coach Bill Wadley in a released statement.
The men finished the invitational with 10 wins out of the 18 swimming contests the team participated in.
Sophomore Steven Zimmerman achieved the team’s first victory in the 200 backstroke with a personal best time of 1:42.85.
Senior Jason Schnur concluded the 100 freestyle with his season best time of 43.31 and his third event success at the invitational.
Men’s diving junior Shane Miszkiel led the Buckeyes with a score of 363.10 to win the platform finals.
The women’s team finished the invitational with a collective 589 points.
Altogether, 22 Buckeyes received one individual NCAA “B” time standards and 18 swimmers finished one championship final.
Freshman Annie Lazor seized a NCAA “B” time in the 200 breaststroke competition for a time of 2:13.16. Lazor came in sixth overall in the invitational and her time was a best on the season.
Junior diver Cheyenne Cousineau earned the one-meter springboard title and placed fourth with 259.85 points in the platform finals.
“I’m really pleased,” said women’s coach Bill Dorenkott said in a press release. “We raced tough and consistent for the most part. We got stronger each session, and also got to see a lot in terms of racing and relays.”
The men’s and women’s team will compete in a co-ed invitational on Jan. 11, at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion against Wright State.