Last week, Ohio State University Residences and Dining Services sent out an email stating the university would issue a $3 credit for students’ unused blocks on their meal plans at the end of the semester. This decision, a result of the university offering meal plans with excessive amounts of blocks, seems like a valid solution for many students who are nearing the end of the semester with too many blocks. Many students were excited upon the announcement of this news, but I was not one of them.
I am a freshman this year and currently function under the Unlimited meal plan. Under the provisions of this plan, I’m allowed to eat as much as I want at Traditions locations as well as use 10 blocks per week at other campus dining operations. I paid more than I would have for either 450 or 600 blocks (the only two Block-O plans available at the beginning of the school year) in order to reap the benefits of this flexible plan. Now I look back on that decision with regret. Although I do not spend all 10 of my provided blocks every week, I will not be receiving BuckID cash as reimbursement for my unspent blocks like students on a Block-O meal plan. Furthermore, it is generally agreed among students that on-campus food outside of Traditions dining locations is typically better and of higher quality.
Having limited access to non-Traditions locations is also problematic because of issues with location and hours of operation. There are only three traditions locations on campus ­­- North, Kennedy and Morrill commons – and they are strategically placed so that there is one for each side of campus. I live on South Campus and can easily access Kennedy Commons, but I rarely spend time on North or West Campus and therefore would have to go out of my way to eat at either Morrill or North. These locations close by 8 p.m. on weeknights and Sunday night and 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, which conflicts with my schedule. In comparison, many non-Traditions locations are open until 10 p.m. and are positioned in much more convenient locations for student activity.
Next semester, I’ll be switching my meal plan to a Block-O one. Until then, I guess I’ll have to be bitter about paying extra money for a plan that I ultimately was frustrated and upset with. I hope next semester my roommate can treat me to some Chipotle with the BuckID cash he’ll be receiving in the coming weeks so I, too, can benefit from this refund system.