Four former Ohio State football players will be playing in Super Bowl XLVII Sunday, and they all happen to be playing for San Francisco.
The 49ers, which are set to square off against the Baltimore Ravens at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, will feature some familiar names from Buckeye Nation: former OSU offensive lineman Alex Boone, wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., linebacker Larry Grant and safety Donte Whitner.
Alex Boone (2005-2008)
Boone, who went undrafted in the 2009 NFL draft but got picked up for the 2010 season, has been with the 49ers his entire career.
The Lakewood, Ohio, native started all four of his years in Columbus and played in the 2007 and 2008 BCS National Championships. As a 49er, he was a pro bowl alternate last season.
Tedd Ginn Jr. (2004-06)
Arguably, Ginn Jr. was one of the most exciting Buckeyes to watch in the Jim Tressel era. A Cleveland, Ohio, native, Ginn also returned kickoffs and punts for touchdowns.
He even returned the opening kickoff in the 2007 BCS National Championship against Urban Meyer’s Florida Gators. Ginn was the ninth overall pick in the 2007 draft by the Miami Dolphins and was traded to the 49ers for a fifth round draft pick in 2010.
Larry Grant (2006-07)
Grant, who originally attended City College of San Francisco, transferred to OSU in 2006 before becoming a full-time starter in 2007. Grant, who like Boone appeared in back-to-back national championship games for OSU, was drafted in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the 49ers before being traded to the St. Louis Rams.
In 2011, Grant re-signed with the 49ers and has been with them ever since.
Donte Whitner (2003-05)
Whitner, another Clevelander, has played every level of football on the same team as Ted Ginn Jr., including stints at Glenville High School and OSU.
As a Buckeye, Whitner was first-team All-Big Ten in 2005 and was drafted eighth overall in the 2006 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. After playing four seasons in Buffalo, he signed a three-year contract with 49ers. Whitner was named to the Pro Bowl last season.