In May 2012, during The Darkness’ last Columbus performance, the band did not play for long.
Last year’s Rock on the Range show was the shortest gig the band has ever played, said Dan Hawkins, guitarist and back up vocalist for The Darkness.   
The British glam-rock band is scheduled to headline a show Wednesday at Newport Music Hall with Hell or Highwater opening. Doors open at 7 p.m.
Hawkins said the band has fond memories of Rock on The Range, but it will be nice to play a “proper” show.
The Darkness is made up of brothers Dan and Justin Hawkins, drummer Ed Graham and bassist Frankie Poullain.
In 2006, the band took a break after lead singer Justin Hawkins entered rehab for drug and alcohol abuse. About five years later, in March 2011, The Darkness announced it would be reforming with all of its original members.
“We are a lot more confident actually,” Dan Hawkins said. “We are a lot more sober.”
Dan Hawkins said he did not think anything has changed about the band’s music since before the break.  
After its reformation, The Darkness was featured in the Samsung Galaxy Note commercial during the 2012 Super Bowl. Justin Hawkins dropped into the screen singing the band’s single “I Believe In A Thing Called Love.”
Three months after its appearance in the Super Bowl ad, The Darkness announced it would be releasing its first album in more than six years, as well as a touring position with Lady Gaga on her U.K. tour.  
“Hot Cakes,” which released Aug. 20, was its first album since The Darkness reformed. The album received generally favorable reviews, according to review aggregator Metacritic.com.
On the U.K. Albums Chart, the album reached No. 4, while on the U.S. Billboard 200 it reached No. 43.  
“I think American audiences appreciate us more than in the U.K.,” Dan Hawkins said. “We are a complete oddity where we are from, where here you kind of get it.
I think (Americans) know how to rock.”
Amy Cilensek, a first-year in microbiology and finance, agreed.
Although she has never heard of The Darkness, she said she does not believe British bands have a more difficult time in the U.S.
“There’s a lot of other British artists that did really well over here like Jessie J,” she said.
Dan Hawkins said The Darkness is just an old-school rock band.
“We’re not particularly like KISS,” he said. “We aren’t running about with lasers and flame throwers and whatnot.”
Although Dan Hawkins said the band did not have any different plans for it Columbus show, Marissa Luther, marketing manager at PromoWest Productions, said The Darkness is full of energy and that the band is fun to have.
“We are really excited to have this show here,” Luther said. “We are glad we can bring them into Columbus.”
Tickets for the show are $25 in advance through Ticketmaster and $28 the day of the show. Hell or Highwater will open the show.