The Grammy Awards unfolded Sunday night and many of us watched as the winners of Best Song of the Year, Best Album of the Year and so on were announced. But who cares? Am I the only one who watches these shows for the fashion and worst-dressed lists?
Probably.
I was, however, extremely interested this year after Deadline.com reported a memo sent out by CBS executives urging a more modest dress code from celebrities going down the Grammy red carpet this year.
“Please avoid sheer see-through clothing that could possibly expose female breast nipples,” reads the memo, which was distributed to Grammys attendees and their representatives just days before the show.
So who did not get the memo? The four that stood out with the most bare skin were Kimbra, Kelly Rowland, Alicia Keys and Jennifer Lopez – who may have inspired the dress code herself with a plunging neckline that revealed all but everything at the 2000 Grammys.
However, even those who did follow the dress code still found a way to make the worst-dressed list. Let’s start with Adele and that ugly, flowered frock. I know she just had a baby in October and all, but there are ways to cover up any extra baby weight that do not involve making your Grammy dress out of your grandmother’s couch.
Next up: Florence Welch, who is known for being the lead singer of band Florence and the Machine. She looked like she was dressed up for a comic book convention to represent either Bowser from Super Mario Bros. or the Green Goblin from Spider-Man. What was she thinking?
But not only did the women of the red carpet make the worst-dressed list this year – the men took away a big piece of the horrible style cake as well.
I was in shock when Jay-Z (Shawn Corey Carter), Frank Ocean and The-Dream (Terius Youngdell Nash) went onstage to accept the award for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for “No Church in the Wild.” But it wasn’t the fact that they won that shocked me, it was the hideous hat The-Dream was wearing. Did he know he was attending a red carpet event when he picked out that hat from Spencer’s at the mall?
Rapper 2 Chainz, whose real name is Tauheed Epps, might have been dressed just a little bit better than The-Dream, but he looked like he was heading to Dracula’s castle with a red and black cape on.
I guess it is time to stop bashing the stars and give props to those few who actually dressed to impress at the Grammys.
Rihanna definitely looked sexy, yet modest in her red-hot Azzedine Alaia gown. I would also put Carrie Underwood in this category, not only for her stunning black gown on the red carpet, but the beautiful silver dress she wore during her onstage performance, which became the canvas for an intriguing light show.
The award for the star who took a risk with her dress and nailed it goes to Estelle. Not only did she show a little bit of midriff skin, but her bold printed gown complimented her skin tone perfectly.
From grandma’s couch to Dracula’s castle, and hot tamale red gowns to ones with light shows, the 55th Annual Grammys presented the best and worst of the fashion world.