A special workout class has students dancing to music from divas for a chance to see one of those singers live.
The RPAC is offering a special event class called “Diva Dance!” where participants have the chance to win a pair of tickets to see Pink’s “The Truth About Love Tour,” scheduled for March 6 at the Schottenstein Center.
“If you don’t like going on a treadmill or you hate running … dancing is such a great way to express yourself and you get to listen to some of your favorite kind of music,” said Elsa Burrow, a second-year in environmental engineering and instructor of the class.
Participants will dance to music from artists such as Britney Spears, Madonna, Pink and Christina Aguilera.
Burrow will teach mini routines that go with each of the songs on her “diva” playlist.
After the workout, a name will be drawn to find out who won the pair of tickets to see Pink.
The class is scheduled to be held at the Ohio Union Performance Hall on Feb. 20 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
About 80-100 students will be able to take the class and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The “Diva Dance” class is one of the special group fitness classes offered at the RPAC.
Other special event classes include a “Yoga for Climbers” on Feb. 25 and a “Single Ladies Shake It!” class on Valentine’s Day.
Alycia Israel, the coordinator for Recreational Sports fitness programs, said the special event classes are designed to encourage students less likely to exercise.
“The point of the special event programs is to pull individuals from campus, or university affiliates, into group fitness that otherwise would not attend,” Israel said. “If they enjoy ‘Diva Dance!’ … maybe they’ll come to another class because they realize it’s fun.”
Alicia LeDonne, a fourth-year in sociology and criminology, said a potential free concert is great motivation to come to the dance class.
“I think incentives, like concert tickets, are a really good way to get people to work out because a lot of people are really lazy,” LeDonne said.
The tickets to the Pink concert were donated to the RPAC.
All special event classes are free to any student or faculty with a valid BuckID.