Steve Rohlik has been named head coach of the Ohio State men’s hockey team, athletic director Gene Smith announced Wednesday. Rohlik was OSU’s associate head coach for the past three seasons and has 16 years of coaching experience at the Division I level.

“We are pleased Steve has accepted our head coaching position,” Smith said in a statement. “He has made positive impressions within the athletics department, in the hockey community and with the men’s hockey student-athletes. He has a well thought-out plan for how to lead our hockey program into the future that is in line with the expectations we have for each of our head coaches.”

Rohlik is replacing former coach Mark Osiecki, who was let go by the university earlier this month after “there was a difference of opinion over the management of the program that could not be resolved,” according to Smith.

Rohlik signed a five-year contract worth $250,000 in total compensation per year, according to the OSU athletic department, and will be guiding the Buckeyes into the new Big Ten hockey conference this fall.

“I am honored and humbled by this opportunity to become the next coach at Ohio State,” Rohlik said in a statement. “I want to thank Gene Smith, Chris Schneider and the administration for giving me this chance. I look forward to leading this program into the Big Ten.”

Rohlik came to OSU after spending 10 seasons at Minnesota Duluth from 2001-2010 where he helped lead the team to two NCAA tournaments and a Frozen Four in 2004.

“Steve has been an integral part of the hockey program and its recent success on the ice, in the community and in the classroom,” Chris Schneider, senior associate athletics director for sport administration, said in statement. “He has earned the respect of those in and around the program. We are excited to have him directing the squad as we begin play in the Big Ten.”