Ohio State guard Aaron Craft (4), then a sophomore, lets out a celebratory yell in the 2nd half of a Sweet 16 NCAA Basketball Championship game held at TD Garden in Boston on March 23, 2012. OSU won 81-66.

Lantern file photo

Ohio State student-athletes are showing their brain power in the Big Ten.

A conference-high total of 74 Buckeyes from 28 sports were named to the 2013 Big Ten Distinguished Scholars list, as released by the Big Ten.

To be named to the list, those letter winners in at least their second year at their respective school must post a minimum grade-point average of 3.7 or higher in the previous academic year.

There were a total of nine Buckeyes who earned a 4.0 GPA last year including senior Derek Blevins (track and field), senior Aaron Craft (men’s basketball), then-senior Adam Homan (football), redshirt sophomore Randy Languis (wrestling), redshirt junior Michael Newburger (gymnastics), senior Melissa Rennie (softball), redshirt senior Max Stearns (fencing), sophomore Gavin Trebilcock (swimming and diving) and junior Tim Wetzel (baseball).

Craft is one of two conference basketball players to be named distinguished scholar for the year. He also was named the 2013 Academic All-America of the Year in the sport. Homan is one of three Big Ten football players to post a 4.0 GPA.

OSU’s women’s swimming and diving program held the most members of any squad with eight, and were followed by field hockey, men’s volleyball and men’s swimming and diving, who all had five.