Ohio State students headed back to class on Wednesday, but while many of them were away from campus over the summer, rape, sexual imposition and assault were reported. Here is a recap of this summer’s crime and a look at what’s been reported so far this academic year.

Sex crimes
Three rapes were reported by female non-affiliates on Ohio State’s campus this summer from April 22 to Aug. 18. Two of these events took place in buildings associated with the Wexner Medical Center.

The first allegedly occurred at about 11 p.m. June 12 near the Browning Amphitheatre.

The second was reported at Harding Hospital, located at 1670 Upham Drive. The incident reportedly occurred at 2 p.m. on July 1. A female non-affiliate reported rape by a known suspect.

The third was reported at the James Cancer Hospital, located at 300 W. 10th Ave., on Aug. 15 at about midnight.

Investigation into all three events is pending, according to University Police reports.

In addition, five incidents of sexual imposition or gross sexual imposition were reported. Three of these events took place in buildings associated with the Wexner Medical Center.

A female non-affiliate reported sexual imposition from CarePoint East, located at 543 Taylor Ave., which occurred at about 1 p.m. on May 2. Investigation into the event is pending.

A female staff member reported gross sexual imposition at Harding Hospital on May 25 at about 3:15 p.m. Investigation into the event is pending.

A female student reported a sexual imposition that had allegedly taken place June 17 at about 5:30 p.m. near Curl Drive.

The student said she was walking east on Curl Drive after leaving Jesse Owens North Recreation Center when a gray pick up truck stopped in front of her. The driver and passenger were white males, both about 24 years old. The men questioned the student and the passenger reached out of the vehicle and inappropriately grabbed the student before driving off. The case is closed, according to a University Police report.

A female non-affiliate reported sexual imposition at OSU Hospital East, located at 1492 E. Broad St. The incident occurred June 19 at about 6 p.m.

The female was a patient at the hospital and the violator was an employee. The female did not want to press charges against the violator and the case was closed, according to a University Police report.

Ohio Law defines sexual imposition as sexual contact in which the offender knows it will upset the victim, the victim is unaware of the contact or unable to “control the offender,” the victim is between 13 and 16 years old and the offender is older than 18, or the offender is a mental health professional and convinces the victim the “contact is necessary for mental health treatment.”

The law defines gross sexual imposition as sexual contact in which the offender purposely compels the victim to submit by force or threat of force, the offender impairs the judgment or control of the victim or knows the victim to be impaired, the victim is less than 13 years old, or the ability of the victim to resist or consent is impaired because of a mental or physical condition or advanced age.

According to the National Institute of Justice, roughly 27.5 percent of college women report circumstances that fit the legal definition of rape.

Robbery
Two events of armed or aggravated robbery took place on campus this summer.

A male non-affiliate reported an aggravated robbery at the Ohio Union Parking Garage South on Aug. 7 at about 11:50 a.m. The man reported $25 in cash stolen by an unknown male carrying a handgun. Investigation into the event is pending.

University Police issued a crime alert for OSU’s Columbus campus on Aug. 7 following a report of an armed male robbing an individual on the High Street side of Sullivant Hall.

University Police also assisted Columbus Police Division with a robbery at 1460 Worthington Ave. May 20 at about 12:20 a.m. The case has since been closed.

Other crimes
Ten assaults were also reported on campus between April 22 and Aug. 18.

A male non-affiliate was arrested for criminal trespassing after he base-jumped from the OSU radio tower on May 10.

“Base” is an acronym for building, antenna, span and earth, the four kinds of objects from which base jumpers can parachute.

A parking lot security camera captured the man climbing the tower, located at 2470 Northstar Road, and University Police was alerted. Officers attempted to get him to come down, but he continued to climb to the top of the tower, then jumped and parachuted into an OSU-owned cornfield. The man was sentenced on May 13 to a fine and a year of probation, according to 10TV.

A trailer erupted into flames outside of Sullivant Hall when an industrial strength vacuum cleaner overheated on June 6 at about 9:15 a.m. ServPro, a company contracted by OSU to clean the ventilation ductwork in Sullivant Hall, owned the trailer.

The large diesel-fueled vacuum motor had been running continuously for about two hours before it caught on fire. An employee of ServPro said no one was aware the vacuum was overheated until it was too late and estimated damage to be around $50,000, according to a University Police report. No injuries or hazardous materials were reported.

This week
This week, from Aug. 14 to Aug. 21, there were 34 total thefts reported on OSU’s campus. Six incidents were thefts of bicycles.

A female non-affiliate, age 29, was arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs near Woodruff Avenue and High Street on Aug. 17.