When architecture firm Gensler moved to downtown Los Angeles, California, in late 2011, it demolished the core of a granite-clad 1970s building, creating an interior staircase under a new skylight cut into the roof.

When architecture firm Gensler moved to downtown Los Angeles, California, in late 2011, it demolished the core of a granite-clad 1970s building, creating an interior staircase under a new skylight cut into the roof. Credit: MCT

For many students, priority objectives at Ohio State are to choose a major, pass all their classes and earn a degree. However, to gain an upper hand, many students try to get real-world experience by obtaining an internship.

To underclassmen who are just starting out searching career possibilities, an internship might not seem like a top priority, however, most advisers and career counselors suggest students apply for as many internships as they possibly can, depending on their area of work.

When first looking for an internship, it is common to get lost and have difficulty finding the right internship that fits well with a particular career path.

Advisers from all colleges keep students up to date on internships or other resources available through weekly emails which advertise career fairs or workshops the school will offer.

One thought students have about the availability of these internships is that advisers need to have more direct communication with students about them.

Jake Moser, a third-year in communications said the emails he receives are very general and not very descriptive.

“I may like more information on internships that are available,” Moser said. “I get emails from advisers, but they are not very personal.”

Every college at OSU has an internship service specific to that school, such as Futurelink for the College of Arts and Sciences and FisherConnect for the Fisher College of Business.

These resources are where students can find available internships shown through that particular school. It can be very broad, but students can make their searches more specific by adding in key words, finding internships available in a particular area, or searching whether the internship is paid or unpaid.

Colleges also hold useful workshops for students starting an internship search or aiming to improve their marketability. These workshops can help students improve resumes, networking skills and interviewing.

These workshops are not strictly for students of a particular major, but it is useful to consult an adviser about finding the right resources for a specific skill set or job choice.

Another resource that can be very useful is the Career Connection office at the Younkin Success Center.

Located at 1640 Neil Ave,, this center offers students the opportunity to meet one-on-one with an adviser about possible internship and career opportunities, as well as other useful resources such as discussing resumes and cover letters and having a mock interview.

Students can also keep up-to-date on available internships and current events on social media, by following colleges such as Arts and Sciences at @ASCcareer, Business at @FisherOSU and Engineering at @osuengineering on Twitter. This allows students to find internships right when they are offered through the college.

Internships are a great way to gain real world experience while still in school and also provide an opportunity to make connections with professionals, which are important when searching for a job after graduation.

It is also useful to have an internship to see if a particular type of work is something that could be a future career or an indication that it may not be the best choice and it’s better to move on to something else.

Although searching for the right internship is not as difficult as it sometimes appears, it does take a little extra work on the student’s part. There might be a perfect internship or career out there and there are plenty of resources at Ohio State that can help make finding it easier.