A screenshot from security footage at Huntington National bank located at 235 W. 11th Ave. around 9:25 a.m. Sept. 14. Credit: Courtesy of University Police

A screenshot from security footage at Huntington National bank located at 235 W. 11th Ave. around 9:25 a.m. Sept. 14.
Credit: Courtesy of University Police

A bank robbery on 11th Avenue over the weekend led to a joint investigation by University Police and the FBI.

At about 9:25 a.m. Saturday, an unknown suspect robbed the Huntington Bank at 235 W. 11th Ave., across from Canfield Hall and next to University Flower Shop and Adriatico’s Pizza. An unknown amount of cash was taken, according to a University Police dispatcher.

The suspect had a knife and was described as a black man between the ages of 20 and 40, reportedly wearing a black-and-white plaid button-down, sunglasses and a black baseball hat with a white logo. The suspect was carrying a backpack.

University Police responded to the call and no injuries were reported.

According to a police release, the Cincinnati Division of the FBI and University Police are working together to seek information on the case, a standard partnership in a bank robbery, which is a federal crime, according to a University Police dispatcher.

The news of the robbery came shortly after a public safety notice was issued by University Police Wednesday, prompted by two home invasion armed robberies happened in the University District over the last several weeks on West Oakland and Maynard avenues.

The bank robbery report came as a shock to some OSU students, who were surprised to hear about the Saturday incident.

Caitlin Albert, a third-year in nursing, said she felt unsettled after hearing about the robbery.

“Especially with the recent email we got, it’s upsetting that (a bank robbery) happened, especially on campus. I don’t expect these things on campus,” Albert said.

Jake Zimmerman, a first-year in engineering, was surprised about the location and the time of the robbery.

“If I were there, my guard would have been completely down on a Saturday morning on campus. You don’t think about banks being robbed that early in the day,” Zimmerman said.

Kevin Cornelius, special agent in charge of the FBI division in Cincinnati, and University Police Chief Paul Denton are currently seeking information on the suspect. According to a University Police dispatcher, the FBI has “significant identifying information on the suspect” from cameras at the scene.