Junior outside hitter Erin Sekinger (12) spikes the ball during a match against Dabrowa Sept. 4, at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-2. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Junior outside hitter Erin Sekinger (12) spikes the ball during a match against Dabrowa Sept. 4, at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-2.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

The No. 13 Ohio State women’s volleyball team took home the title at the Sports Imports DC Koehl Classic after winning all three of their matches at St. John Arena over the weekend.

Junior setter Taylor Sherwin was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player. Sophomore middle blocker Andrea Kacsits and Sherwin were both named to the All-Tournament team.

The Buckeyes (9-0) picked up a three set victory against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis on Friday and four set victories on Saturday against Southeast Missouri and Xavier.

Even though they did not sweep every match, coach Geoff Carlston said he was happy with the performances his team put together.

“I’m happy with how our team played,” Carlston said. “We responded really well after we lost a set.”

After sweeping IUPUI, OSU played their way to a 25-12 first set victory against Southeast Missouri but fell in the second set, 25-20.

The Buckeyes found themselves in a similar situation against Xavier winning the first set by 15 before losing the second 25-21.

Both times OSU responded by winning the third and fourth sets to wrap up each match.

Kacsits said in an email the match against Xavier would have been much more difficult without junior outside hitter Erin Sekinger.

“I can honestly say that the Xavier match may have been way different if (Sekinger) wouldn’t have contributed right when we needed her,” Kacsits said.

Sekinger finished the match with 15 kills good for second on the team behind senior outside hitter Kaitlyn Leary’s 22.

Sekinger said in an email that, while she did not contribute much in the first two matches, against IUPUI and Southeast Missouri, she was able to keep her focus and knew her team needed her to play well to win.

“I really just focused on getting the job done,” she said. “I knew my team needed the best of my ability (against Xavier) and I wasn’t going to bring anything less for them.”

Carlston said Sekinger helped the cause, even though she did not start the match.

“I think Erin Sekinger came off the bench and did some really good things,” he said.

Sherwin, who picked up her second MVP honor of the year after receiving the same award at the NIU Invitational, received praise from her coach and teammates alike.

Carlston said Sherwin has been a good leader throughout the season while Kacsits called her “The MVP of the year so far.”

The Buckeyes will look to continue their undefeated start this weekend in Buffalo, N.Y., in the Blue and White Classic.

OSU will play Maryland Eastern Shore Friday at 4:30 p.m. before taking on Valparaiso at 11 a.m. Saturday and Buffalo at 7 p.m. the same day.

The team opens up Big Ten play Sept. 27 in Columbus against Michigan.