Ray Atilano, the former OSU executive director of Technology Commercialization. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Brian Cummings, the former OSU vice president of Technology Commercialization. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

The Ohio State vice president for Technology Commercialization has left the university after about two years, OSU officials said Friday.

Brian Cummings started at his position June 1, 2011. Ray Atilano, the executive director of Technology Commercialization, has also left his position.

Both men left to “seek other opportunities,” OSU Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President of Business and Finance Geoff Chatas said.

Cummings earned a base salary of $375,960 this year, OSU assistant vice president of media and public relations Gayle Saunders said in an email.

Tim Wright, who has been the director of the Wexner Medical Center James Comprehensive Cancer Center since September 2011, will serve as the interim vice president of the office while OSU conducts a national search for Cummings’ replacement.

The Technology Commercialization and Knowledge Transfer Office’s mission is to “build creativity, responsiveness, and accountability into the creation of new programs and partnerships that maximize the impact of our research and enhance the student and faculty experience,” according to the office’s fiscal year 2013 report.

In fiscal year 2011, commercialization brought in a total revenue of more than $1.97 million, according to the Technology Commercialization and Knowledge Transfer Office fiscal year 2012 report. In fiscal year 2013, total revenue was reported as more than $2.1 million, according to the fiscal year 2013 report.

Chatas said he couldn’t speak to the reason the two men chose to leave now.

“Over the last few years, there’s been a really solid foundation built,” Chatas said, adding that Wright intends to help the office grow alongside the colleges and their respective deans.

Atilano refused to comment and Cummings did not return a call requesting comment.