Ohio State’s top two quarterbacks both suffered injuries during the Buckeyes’ most recent football game against San Diego State, but OSU coach Urban Meyer is confident Braxton Miller and Kenny Guiton will be ready to play Saturday against California.

Miller, the Buckeyes’ junior starting quarterback, suffered an MCL sprain in his left knee during the first quarter of the SDSU game and did not return. He resumed throwing Tuesday and was scheduled to practice in a “limited capacity,” Meyer said during Tuesday’s Big Ten weekly coaches’ teleconference.

“His arm is fine and everything, it’s just can he plant, can he move and all that,” Meyer said. “I’ll know more of that after (Tuesday’s) practice.”

Meyer said he will know tomorrow whether Miller will be available to play Saturday.

“I’m fairly optimistic (Miller will be able to play),” Meyer said. “The improvement made between day three (since suffering the injury) and day four is very important, and that’s usually substantial.”

Miller, the 2012 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, has completed 17 of his first 24 passing attempts this season. He has passed for 208 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. He has also gained 82 yards on 18 rushing attempts.

Guiton, a redshirt-senior, was brought off the bench and into action for the second consecutive week to start the season after Miller went down with an injury. Guiton played the rest of the game for OSU, completing 19 of 28 passes for 152 yards and two touchdowns, while also gaining 83 rushing yards on nine attempts, including a 44-yard rushing touchdown.

Guiton helped lead the Buckeyes to a 42-7 victory, but in the process may not been fully healthy. Meyer said Guiton hit his hand on a helmet following one of his throws, which caused his hand to be “very swollen” Sunday.

“He’s a tough guy that fought through it,” Meyer said of Guiton.

Meyer said Guiton is “fine,” and defined the injury as a contusion.

“He’s ready to go,” Meyer said.

Kickoff for OSU’s first road game of the season is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif. The 2-0 Buckeyes will be looking for their third win of the season against the 1-1 Golden Bears.