Letter to the editor:

The Greek community at Ohio State has been making great strides in service. Representing more than 30 local and national foundations, philanthropy is at the heart of Greek organizations and is one of the main foundations in which their chapters are founded upon.

Alpha Epsilon Pi held The World’s Longest BBQ from October 1 through Sunday. Each year the organization focuses on a different philanthropy. Previously, the barbecue raised almost $20,000 for the James Cancer Hospital. Alpha Epsilon Pi partnered with other organizations on campus, including the Buckeye Barbeque Club and Buckeyes Give Back to host this 24-hour-a-day event.

This past Sunday, the women of Kappa Alpha Theta hosted their sixth annual Theta 5K for Kids. The proceeds of their event will be donated to CASA, Court Appointed Special Advocates, of Franklin County. This nonprofit trains volunteers who help and support abused and neglected children within the court systems. This event has been wildly successful in past years and is expected to continue growing in numbers and donations.

The men of Tau Kappa Epsilon are scheduled to host the Inaugural Scott Harman Memorial Golf Outing on October 9th. This event celebrates the life of Scott Michael Harman, a beloved brother of Tau Kappa Epsilon that passed away from his heart condition Sept. 10, 2012. All proceeds from this event will benefit the Scott Harman Memorial Scholarship, which will be awarded yearly to a student in the Professional Golf Management program.

Alpha Phi held their second annual Mr. Ivy pageant Thursday. The event resulted in a $2,500 donation to the Alpha Phi Foundation , which helps fund research grants that address symptoms, treatment and prevention of heart disease in women. The Foundation’s mission is “advancing women’s lives through the power of philanthropy.” More than 400 tickets were sold and the 17 contestants from various organizations on campus participated in amusing audience members with their talents.

The Greek community prides itself for its philanthropic efforts on the local and national level. All chapters hold regular events to benefit their cause and make philanthropy a top priority. Service is one of the most celebrated dimensions of Greek Life and the chapters at Ohio State are making us proud.

Blaire Goodrick
Third-year in political science
Member of Panhellenic Council
[email protected]