Add a scarf to your outfit this winter to protect yourself from the cold weather.  Credit: Courtesy of MCT

Add a scarf to your outfit this winter to protect yourself from the cold weather.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

No matter what your style usually consists of — glam, grunge, or the like — there are several winter fashion pieces that can fit in the giant jigsaw puzzle of your wardrobe. They can be added all at once or piece by piece, so read on to find out how to warm up your closet in the coming months.

Knit socks

Keeping your feet warm when the temperature drops is the first step you can take in protecting yourself from winter’s chill. While thick knit socks tucked deep into your boots can definitely provide some coziness when traversing campus, adding taller socks that peek out from the tops of your boots can insulate you even better. Socks in neutral colors like black, gray and beige can easily be added to every outfit you own.

Scarves

Wrapping your neck with a scarf can add degrees of heat to the unprotected skin above your coat. Are you a fan of a more classic style? Entwine a black silk scarf around your neck to keep your outfit just as fancy as you. If you are more of a casual being, a thick scarf knit with yarn can be added to leggings, sweatpants, or denim and look just as good with any of these. This is the easiest way to warm up any outfit you have, so if you’re pressed for time, make this the one addition you make.

Parkas

There’s nothing more comfortable than a down-filled coat worn over a cozy sweater, and that’s exactly why a parka is absolutely necessary for winter. The colder weather requires many layers of clothing, and a coat that actually fits on top of all of them is the cherry on top of the perfect cold-weather outfit. There are plenty of styles of this kind of coat so there’s nothing keeping you from purchasing one — and though they are slightly more expensive than the average jacket (my recently purchased parka was $100), they are well-worth the investment.

Top it off

Unless you have long, thick mermaid hair, your ears are likely freezing every time you step outside. This can easily be remedied with the addition of a hat, and there are so many styles that you’re sure to find one you fall in love with. Beanies are perfect for the grungy outfit, while fedoras easily complement a business-casual getup. If you aren’t wanting to mess up your perfectly-styled hair, feel free to switch a hat with earmuffs so you don’t sacrifice any of the warmth.