Matt Nathanson is slated to perform at the Newport Music Hall Nov. 13.  Credit: Courtesy of Vanguard Records

Matt Nathanson is slated to perform at the Newport Music Hall Nov. 13.
Credit: Courtesy of Vanguard Records

Newport Music Hall is set to welcome back a familiar artist who plans to bring a new album, sense of humor and an affinity for selfies to the stage.

Singer-songwriter Matt Nathanson is scheduled to perform at the Newport Wednesday, with doors opening at 7 p.m., and he said the audience can expect to get more out of the show than just his music.

Nathanson said he likes to do things to include the audience in his shows and create a fun experience. He also takes a picture of himself on stage with the audience in the background at the end of every show, which he posts to his Instagram account.

“I shoot these terrible selfies of like half my face or just my sweaty hair,” Nathanson said.
In another instance of having fun with his audience, Nathanson celebrated Halloween at a recent performance in New York by dressing up as a member of Poison and covering the band’s song, “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” as the audience sang along.
Some students have heard about Nathanson’s light-hearted nature and expect great entertainment from the show.

“When I have heard live versions of Matt Nathanson’s songs, he often tells jokes,” said Tatiana DeGraffenreid, a second-year in psychology. “I anticipate a lot of jokes and fun covers.”
Nathanson is no stranger to Columbus or Ohio State’s campus. The artist said he has played in the city a few times and has developed some favorite spots along the way, including the Wexner Center for the Arts and Johnny Go’s House O’ Music.

Nathanson said he and his band like to get to know the cities they play in.

“We look like a little d—–b– gang,” Nathanson said. “We have these folding bikes we get out and explore on.”

He said he has played many shows at the Newport, including one concert with O.A.R.

In this particular performance, Nathanson is set to be accompanied by another singer-songwriter, Joshua Radin. Nathanson said the pairing came about relatively organically.

“Joshua Radin was sort of on the periphery and he happened to be open, so we did it,” Nathanson said.
The concert is part of Nathanson’s tour promoting his latest album, “Last of the Great Pretenders,” which was released in July.

“Everyone seems to be digging it,” Nathanson said. “It’s the most fun to see when the audience sings a brand new song back to you so passionately.”
Alex Szablewski, a third-year in sport industry management said he has been a fan of both musicians for years and is excited to hear them play.

“It was actually on Spotify that I found out they were coming to Columbus,” Szablewski said. “I started asking around to see if anyone would want to go, and then I heard D-Tix was selling tickets, too, so that’s when I really decided I was going.”

Discounted tickets went on sale through D-Tix Nov 5. for $10. Tickets are still available through D-Tix, as well as through Ticketmaster for $22 and $25 the day of the show.