The Crest is located at ### Indianola Ave.  Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

The Crest is located at 2855 Indianola Ave.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

With the charm of a neighborhood pub and the appeal of a top-shelf urban restaurant, The Crest provides a dining experience fit for any true foodie.

Following the completion of an extensive remodeling project last year, the gastropub formerly known as The Crest Tavern (est. 1933) has asserted itself among the premier establishments in the robust Columbus food scene. Located at 2855 Indianola Ave., the gastropub boasts more than 50 beers on tap and an array of reasonably-priced dishes. The Crest’s commitment to quality dining is evident in the menu’s featured ingredients, which are sourced from a number of local providers, as well as the restaurant’s on-site rooftop garden.

After glancing over the cheese boards and charcuterie, the ever-enticing wood-fired duck breast and other items on the menu, I settled upon the lamb burger for $12. Topped with house-made tzatziki, feta, caramelized onion, cucumber and fresh mint, the lamb burger was cooked to a perfect medium and served on a brioche bun. As my Mediterranean-bred taste buds rejoiced over the entrée, I was treated to a side of fresh-cut fries and house-made ketchup.

Complementing my meal was a pint of Columbus Brewing Company’s Bodhi, an Imperial IPA seemingly crafted to be consumed alongside a greasy (but not too greasy) hamburger. Suffice to say, I was beyond satisfied with The Crest’s food and beverage selections.

If any complaint could be raised, it would concern the lengthy wait times. After waiting 10 minutes for my drink order to be taken, it would be another 10 minutes before I could place my food order. Tedious as they were, the delays were a small price to pay for a first-rate meal.

At the end of the night, I walked away with a tab of slightly over $15 — a justifiable expense for a quality night out on a student budget. With its convenient location near campus, The Crest is a perfect venue for a happy hour rendezvous (every day from 3-7 p.m., half-off all drafts) or a romantic evening out.

The Crest is open from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. every day.

Grade: A-