Melt is located at #### N. High St., in the Short North.  Credit: Leah Alexander / Lantern reporter

Melt is located at 840 N. High St., in the Short North.
Credit: Leah Alexander / Lantern reporter

Everyone loves a good grilled cheese. Especially one on thick-cut bread, oozing with cheese and topped with your favorite “add-ons.”

Melt Bar & Grilled is a new restaurant located at 840 N. High St. in Columbus’ Short North, the first location outside of the Cleveland area.

Melt restaurants are like no other. As soon as you walk in, you can feel the contagious energy from the staff and fellow customers. A giant neon sign reading “Welcome to Columbus” makes you feel right at home as you take your seat at the bar.

The decorative and colorful walls are filled with things like Ohio State memorabilia and photographs of members of the Melt tattoo club, a group of dedicated Melt-goers who receive 25 percent off their orders in exchange for getting a tattoo of a grilled cheese.

As soon as I sat down, I knew this would be a dining experience to remember. I was greeted by an energetic waiter who was ready to fulfill all of my grilled cheese fantasies.

Melt offers a full bar with many draft choices and a grilled cheese selection unlike anything you could ever imagine. Even the pickiest of eaters can find something.

There are endless grilled cheese possibilities from simple to the most complex. Unusual choices included sandwiches topped with potatoes, bananas, assorted jellies and even sauerkraut.

As a picky eater, I knew I wanted just your classic American grilled cheese. “The Kindergarten,” as Melt calls it, is your typical grilled cheese: thick-cut, white bread and your choice of cheese.

My food arrived no more than 10 minutes after I ordered, and I was eager to see what was on my plate.

The chunky sandwich was placed on top of a mountain of French fries and sat beside a dill pickle spear. The sandwich was golden-brown and buttered to perfection. Yellow, American cheese melted down the sides of the bread.

As my mouth watered with anticipation, I took my first bite of the savory sandwich. It was just as good as it looked. The bread had been toasted at just the right temperature, and the cheese melted in my mouth.

I found myself full after the first half of the sandwich but managed to eat the pickle spear and some of the French fries. The entire meal was filling but definitely satisfied my craving for comfort food.

Even busy on a weeknight, the restaurant was filled with other patrons who seemed to love the food and atmosphere as much as I did.

Max Growick and Julia Schechter, both fourth-year anthropology students, said they frequently visit this Melt location for its vegan menu options.

“(Melt has) simple things that are normally not vegan, like pesto or mayo, and they have it vegan here. It’s awesome,” Growick said.

Overall, Melt seems to satisfy the craving for any grilled cheese lover. The fun and lively atmosphere makes for a great night out with friends or a quick bite to eat after work.

Prices range from $6 to $14.50 for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Melt is open Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. The bar is open until midnight, Sunday through Thursday, and until 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

Grade: A