Senior forward Ally Tarr (4) controls the puck during a game against the Toronto Aeros Sept. 28 at the OSU Ice Rink. OSU lost, 2-1. Credit: Chelsea Spears / Asst. multimedia editor

Senior forward Ally Tarr (4) controls the puck during a game against the Toronto Aeros Sept. 28 at the OSU Ice Rink. OSU lost, 2-1.
Credit: Chelsea Spears / Asst. multimedia editor

As a hockey player who scores at a consistent rate, it is difficult to remember some past exploits as much as the recent ones. After all, focus is in the moment, and some of those older memories can get pushed to the side as the continued hunt for points continues.

Certainly, someone like Ohio State women’s ice hockey senior forward Ally Tarr, who became only the ninth player in program history to tally 100 points when she scored against Bemidji State Feb. 15, can’t be blamed for forgetting some of those early markers. But when asked for her most memorable moment during her four years at OSU, one of those games from years past always comes to mind.

“The first goal I ever scored definitely stands out,” Tarr said. “I remember we were down and it was a close game. I got a really nice pass and ended up on a breakaway and just found the back of the net somehow. It was definitely a big deal.”

That goal came in a 3-2 overtime loss against North Dakota in November 2010, and Tarr has been a potent scoring threat ever since. She was one of only two freshmen to play every game that season, finishing the campaign with 14 points overall.

With one season under her belt, Tarr began to flourish as a sophomore, scoring 27 points to finish behind only Laura McIntosh and Natalie Spooner in scoring in the 2011-12 season. Both of those two players are above Tarr on the all-time scoring list, and she said she feels honored just to be mentioned alongside them.

“It’s really cool (to be on the list with them),” Tarr said. “Especially since I played with people like (Natalie) Spooner and Mac (Laura McIntosh) who reached that milestone, so it’s something I’m pretty proud of.”

Tarr’s 32 points as a junior meant she was the team’s leading scorer for the first time, a position she also holds so far this season after tallying 30 points.

“I think my game has grown a lot. As a freshman you kind of have those jitters, so I think (my play) has grown thanks to me having more confidence that I can put the puck in the back of the net,” Tarr said. “You’re going to get better because of the players you’re playing with and the extra ice time, and both of those things have definitely contributed.”

One of the players she has played with most is junior forward Taylor Kuehl, one of her linemates for the past few seasons. Kuehl said she has seen Tarr score in a variety of ways and is never hesitant to pass Tarr the puck.

“She’s definitely a goalscorer. She just can totally bury the puck,” Kuehl said. “She’s really easy to play with because she’s in the right areas at the right time. I think it helps that I’ve played with her for almost three years so I know where she is and if I get her the puck, I have confidence that she’s definitely going to put it away.”

That confidence in Tarr’s abilities extends to the OSU coaching staff as well.

Assistant coach Carson Duggan said Tarr’s impressive scoring mark is indicative of her considerable skill.

“To get 100 points in Division I college hockey — especially in the WCHA — is a huge accomplishment,” Duggan said. “That feat alone speaks volumes to the type of player she is. She’s obviously scored a lot of points, but it’s also the timing of them. She’s clutch.”

Tarr was indeed clutch as the Buckeyes (14-15-5, 9-14-5) finished their regular season last weekend with a sweep of No. 7 North Dakota. Her three points in those two games led to her being named the WCHA Co-Offensive Player of the Week.

The Buckeyes are set to face Minnesota Duluth in the first round of the WCHA tournament this weekend in a three-game series, with Tarr hoping she can lead her team on a playoff run one last time.