For women who don’t like their hair style or simply want to add some spice to their look the accessories for hair are plentiful and cheap and can be found at numerous outlets. Credit: Courtesy of MCT

For women who don’t like their hair style or simply want to add some spice to their look the accessories for hair are plentiful and cheap and can be found at numerous outlets.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT

If you’re like me — a college student with a horrible, compulsive shopping problem — you’re probably dreaming of the day when you can update your wardrobe for spring. This season, though, I’m challenging myself to save by stocking up on new accessories instead of an entire closet full of things I’ll probably never wear. Read on to see how these outfit add-ons can freshen up your look and keep your wallet happy.

Frame it

I have a penchant for faux eyewear — it covers up any dark circles and adds an effortlessly cool look to whatever outfit I’m wearing. Even if you have contacts, you can just throw a pair of plastic frames on and call it a day. Evoke your inner Buddy Holly with classic black wayfarer frames, or switch it up with a marbled cat-eye style.

Buckle up

Belts are an easy way to add a little bit of personality to your ensemble. Whether you want to go in a classic or funky direction, you can just loop one of these guys through your jeans and call it a day. Tuck a plain white V-neck T-shirt into dark wash jeans and complete the outfit with a baby pink belt, or show off your figure with a wide cinching belt over your favorite maxi dress. With such a variety to choose from, it’s virtually impossible to not find a belt you adore.

Wrap around

As the weather warms up a bit, you can make the switch from heavy knit scarves to more lightweight ones, giving your outfits a brand new feel and keeping them from being weighed down. Wrapping one around your neck can immediately change the vibe of your ensemble, so you can find one to suit your style. Tie on a polka dot scarf for a pinup vibe, or go for an edgier look with one covered in skulls. If it’s suddenly too warm to wear any, don’t fret — just knot one onto your favorite handbag and call it a day.

Floral headgear

Though there are plenty of headbands and hairclips out there, spring is the perfect time to invest in some faux flowers for your hair. Whether you want to pin one large flower to a braid or drape on a head wrap covered in faux buds, you can instantly turn your entire outfit into an extremely fashionable throwback to the 1970s. This is also a great DIY project to do on your own — just glue a barrette to the back of a craft store flower.

So before you empty your bank account on just a few new pieces for your closet, try out some new accessories and see if that satisfies the shopping compulsion. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up with a new signature accent piece that adds a little bit of personality to every outfit you wear.