A car2go Smart car parked on OSU’s campus. A Smart car was flipped on campus last week, an incident that has led to an investigation. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

A car2go Smart car parked on OSU’s campus. A Smart car was flipped on campus last week, an incident that has led to an investigation.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

A Smart car was flipped by people on campus last week, an incident that has led to an investigation.

The car2go Smart car, parked on West Eighth Avenue near Hunter Avenue, was flipped at about 4 a.m. Wednesday, according to ABC 6.

Car2go is a point-to-point car-sharing service that has 10 designated parking spots on Ohio State’s campus and more around the city of Columbus. Smart cars are smaller and lighter than typical sedan cars: a two-door Smart fortwo coupe weighs about 1,800 pounds, compared to a four-door Ford Focus sedan, which weighs about 2,900 pounds.

Car2go communications manager Adrianne Andang said car2go is working to help police officers as they investigate.

“At car2go, we feel very much a part of the Columbus community, and it is our responsibility to cooperate with local law enforcement officials as they continue their investigation into this unfortunate incident,” Andang said in an email.

There was allegedly a group taking photos of the car after it had flipped, though no one had been arrested as of Wednesday. Involved people could be charged with vandalism if identified, according to ABC 6.

The flipped car was later towed, according to ABC 6.

OSU representatives referred The Lantern to car2go for comment.

University Police representatives referred The Lantern to the Columbus Division of Police for comment.

Columbus Police representatives did not return multiple phone calls requesting comment about the incident.

Smart cars have also been found flipped in other cities, including four that were reportedly tipped over in San Francisco.

Xin Hui Phuah, a fourth-year in chemical engineering, said she is a frequent user of car2go.

“It’s pretty convenient to get around campus,” Phuah said. “I use it to get to classes quickly.”

Valencia Espinoza, a third-year in marketing, has used car2go before but wasn’t startled by the flipping incident.

“Personally I find it too reckless, even for a college campus as large as OSU, but I still don’t find it scary for me,” Espinoza said.

Phuah said there could be several reasons motivating people to flip Smart cars.

“People may be trying to be really strong or cool and want to show off to friends,” Phauh said. “(But) it’s ruining public property.”