The Blood Sweat and Bass tour, featuring Downlink, Dieselboy, Mantis and Attak and Carma, is set to stop at Skully’s Music-Diner, with doors to open at 9 p.m. Credit: Courtesy of Blood Sweat and Bass

The Blood Sweat and Bass tour, featuring Downlink, Dieselboy, Mantis and Attak and Carma, is set to stop at Skully’s Music-Diner April 19.
Credit: Courtesy of Blood Sweat and Bass

LeBoom is set to bring thundering bass-heavy dubstep to make the Columbus party explode.

Scheduled for Saturday, LeBoom is an electronic music and dubstep party hosted monthly at Skully’s Music-Diner. This weekend LeBoom is hosting the Blood, Sweat and Bass tour, featuring Downlink and Dieselboy as headliners with Mantis and Attak and Carma as supporting artists.

Bass musicians Taylor Scott and Paul Ollinger, a duo who make up Mantis, and are two local artists who helped to create the reoccurring LeBoom EDM shows.

Scott and Ollinger said in an email that their music has parallels to their experiences with metal music.

“Our biggest influences had to be our past musical history playing in metal bands, when we first heard dubstep we heard it with distinct parallels to metal music. That is where we got the basis for the type of music we wanted to begin making,” they said. “(The best part) is just seeing people rage out to our tunes and have as much fun as we are. We wouldn’t be anywhere without our fans, and every time we play somewhere, most of the same fans return and we make new ones.”

Chad Smith, also known as Attak of Attak and Carma, another group set to play Saturday night, is a local DJ. He got his roots in Columbus and said he was sold on EDM the first time he went to a show.

“I started DJing in 2004 after I went to my first EDM bass party, which was Planet of the Drums,” Smith said. “After I went to that show, I had my first experience with live electronic music. It really got me interested in the energy of the music, and the crowd, I had never seen anything like that before. It really inspired me.”

Smith also said Dieselboy has played a major role in his music background and that he expects the show to be a blowout.

“In effect, Dieselboy has always been one of my main influences and one of the reasons why I started DJing myself,” Smith said. “This is going to be the most bass-heavy lineups that we bring to LeBoom this year. Its gonna be wild.”

Nick Reed, a local DJ and Ohio State graduate, also known as Carma of Attak and Carma, said the music they’ll be playing will cover multiple genres of EDM.

“Lately, we’ve been trying to do well-varied sets of multiple genres. So, we’ll try and play different tempos, all the way from 100 beats per minute to 150 beats per minute,” Reed said. “That will entail everything from twerk, trap and electro genres. We like to kinda spread it around.”

Reed also explained that this show in particular is special because of the amount of talent and experience the headliners are bringing with them.

“I think it’s a really special opportunity, this tour in particular, because three really well-known artists who each have their own style of bass music and DJing skills (are coming together),” Reed said. “Downlink is really well known for being an icon in the dubstep genre. Dieselboy is really well known for being a touring drum-and-bass DJ for the last 10 years, if not longer. Mantis is an up-and-comer who is pushing it with his bass music and trap. It’s a cool opportunity to see three headliners in one show, instead of just one.”

Reed added that this will be the first time ever Downlink, also known as Sean Casavant, has played in Columbus.

“(Downlink’s) never played in Columbus, and I think it’s a really sweet opportunity to see someone who is a world renowned artist in this genre,” said Reed.

Skully’s is located at 1151 N. High St. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 on the day of the show. Doors are set to open at 9 p.m.