Senior running back Carlos Hyde (34) avoids a tackler during the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl against Clemson Jan. 3 at Sun Life Stadium. OSU lost, 40-35. Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Senior running back Carlos Hyde (34) avoids a tackler during the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl against Clemson Jan. 3 at Sun Life Stadium. OSU lost, 40-35.
Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editor

Former Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde has been selected by the San Francisco 49ers with the 57th overall pick in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Hyde, who became the first 1,000-yard rusher under OSU coach Urban Meyer, was named the Big Ten’s Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year in 2013 as well as a third-team Associated Press All-American.

Despite missing the first three games of the season due to a suspension, Hyde rushed for 1,521 yards his senior season as well as a team-high 15 touchdowns on the ground. He also broke school records for yards per carry in a season with 7.3 and yards per carry in a single game with a 10.2 clip against Illinois in 2013. His 246 yards rushing against the Fighting Illini ranks third in school history for rushing yards in a single game.

As a junior, Hyde had a career-high in rushing touchdowns with 16, to go along with 970 rushing yards in just 10 games and helped lead the way to a perfect 12-0 season.

The 49ers were led in rushing during the 2013 season by running back Frank Gore who rushed for 1,128 yards and nine touchdowns. San Francisco also selected former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

San Francisco is scheduled to begin the 2014-15 season against the Dallas Cowboys Sept. 7 at 4:25 p.m.