The body of a white man, about age 30, was found in between dumpsters behind the CVS located at 2160 N. High St. May 28, Columbus Police Sgt. Loucious Hollis said. Credit: Liz Young / Editor-in-chief

The body of Delaware resident Edward Hunter, 30, was found in between dumpsters behind the CVS located at 2160 N. High St. May 28.
Credit: Liz Young / Editor-in-chief

The man found dead last week outside a campus-area CVS Pharmacy has been identified as Delaware, Ohio, resident Edward Hunter.

The 30-year-old was found behind the pharmacy between two dumpsters, and a CVS employee called 911 to report the death Wednesday afternoon.

A doctor at the Franklin County Coroner’s Office did not give specifics on the manner or cause of death, saying Monday the case is “pending” and a full report would likely not be completed for six to eight weeks.

Sgt. Loucious Hollis of the Columbus Police said Wednesday that foul play was not suspected.

“(It was) not a homicide. We don’t know what the cause of death is, but it’s not criminal,” Hollis said.

Delaware city police notified Hunter’s sister, Crystal Hunter, of his death.

Crystal Hunter said Monday that preliminary investigations indicate that his death was likely an accident, and a detective told her it was possible he fell from atop one of the dumpsters.

“It was quite unfortunate. He had me, a brother and another sister, and we were all very close,” Crystal Hunter said. “We’re holding a small service this week. We’ve obviously been having a hard time. Here in our community, he had lots and lots of friends. I’ve seen a lot of people coming out to show their support. It makes it bittersweet to know that he had so many friends and such support.”

Before details of the manner of death emerged, OSU students expressed surprise at the then unexplained death occurring so close to campus.

“If I knew it wasn’t a murder, there would be a little bit more of a comfort zone there, but regardless, no one wants this so close to home,” said Joshua Zamarripa, a second-year in mechanical engineering. “It’s definitely not something you see often and hope not to see again.”

Employees at the CVS, located at 2160 N. High St., declined to speak about the incident and referred to corporate public relations for comment.

Listen to part of the 911 call made by a CVS employee:

Liz Young contributed to this article.