OSU Provost Joseph Alutto is a candidate to be the Columbus City Schools interim superintendent.

Former Interim President Joseph Alutto will be the speaker at Summer Commencement.
Credit:Courtesy of OSU

Students graduating at the end of Summer Term can expect to hear from former Ohio State Interim President Joseph Alutto, who is set to give the commencement speech.

The selection of Alutto came after a unanimous decision by OSU’s new Commencement Speaker Advisory Committee, according to a Wednesday release from OSU.

Alutto will speak to an audience of about 9,000 including 1,800 anticipated graduates on Aug. 10 at the Jerome Schottenstein Center.

Alutto will receive an honorary Doctor of Higher Education during the event.

“We are honored to have Joseph Alutto address our graduates and their families at the university’s 407th commencement ceremony,” President Michael Drake said in the release. “He has an extensive background as an academic leader and business scholar and will provide valuable insights to our graduates at the beginning of their careers.”

Since his start at OSU in 1991, Alutto has served in multiple leadership positions.

He became OSU’s interim president for the second time following the retirement of former President E. Gordon Gee in July 2013, before handing over the reins to Drake on June 30.

Before that, Alutto served as executive vice president and provost from 2007 to 2013. He was also the dean of the Fisher College of Business for 16 years.