Joan Rivers with her pet rabbit. Credit: Courtesy of MCT.

Joan Rivers with her pet rabbit.
Credit: Courtesy of MCT.

Comedian Joan Rivers died at the age of 81 Thursday after a week under life support at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, New York, her daughter Melissa Rivers said in a statement.

“It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers. She passed peacefully at 1:17pm surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother,” said the statement.

Melissa Rivers made the decision to remove her mother from life support after going into cardiac arrest during a vocal cord procedure, where she was placed in a medical coma prior to that.

Rivers was one of the most common guest hosts for “The Tonight Show” during Johnny Carson’s tenure. She eventually became the “permanent guest host” during the 1980s.

Rivers is known for her number of successful TV shows, including “That Show”, and most recently, “Fashion Police.” The comedian who popularized the phrase “who are you wearing?” was known for her signature style of comedy that was always pushing the envelope. Rivers was a stranger to retirement and worked up until her death, working during the Emmy Awards and MTV’s Video Music Awards in recent years.

The talk show host was nominated for a Tony Award for her performance in “Sally Marr…And Her Escorts.”