Then-junior midfielder Ellyn Gruber (5) watches her teammates during a game against Purdue Sept. 29 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU lost, 1-0. Credit: Michele Theodore / Managing editor for content

Then-junior midfielder Ellyn Gruber (5) watches her teammates during a game against Purdue Sept. 29 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU lost, 1-0.
Credit: Michele Theodore / Managing editor for content

After two scoreless periods, the Ohio State women’s soccer team lost in double overtime against the Toledo Rockets, 1-0, Tuesday.

“(Toledo’s) style is very disruptive,” OSU coach Lori Walker said. “They were extremely effective tonight in putting us under a lot of pressure, and we made some poor decisions and did not adjust well.”

Redshirt-freshman goalkeeper Megan Geldernick had another solid performance, totaling six saves. The only goal allowed during the game was scored in the 105th minute by Toledo junior midfielder Geri Siudzinski.

OSU was outshot 19-14 over the course of the game, a category the team trailed in through their first three games of the season as well. Senior forward Kayla Varner said she was disappointed by the team’s lack of offense.

“We didn’t come out as hot as we should have,” she said. “We kind of dropped off and let them dictate the pace of the game, which shouldn’t have happened and that was the biggest thing — playing catch-up.”

Toledo was the first non-ranked opponent on OSU’s schedule so far this season. Varner said it was still tough playing an unranked team, though.

“I think that’s almost more challenging,” Varner said. “You have to get up for the game because you know they’re going to come in and give you hell for it.”

The Buckeyes are 1-3-0 for the season. The game marked the team’s third consecutive loss after losing to then-No. 4 North Carolina and in its home opener against then-No. 4 Virginia Tech.

Senior midfielder Ellyn Gruber said the team still has work to do.

“I think we have a lot of potential for a really good season but we just have to put the pieces together,” Gruber said. “We have to start finishing our chances, but also be really good on defense, like we were the first three games, and put two halves together, and just move on from it.”

The Buckeyes are next scheduled to play Dayton on Friday at 7 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium for the first of two home games this weekend. OSU is set to play George Mason Sunday at 2 p.m. in Columbus.