Senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger serves the ball during a game against Florida Gulf Coast on Sept. 5 at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-1. Credit: Emily Yarcusko / For The Lantern

Senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger serves the ball during a game against Florida Gulf Coast on Sept. 5 at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-1.
Credit: Emily Yarcusko / For The Lantern

After playing away from home for over a month, the Ohio State women’s volleyball team turns its focus to a ranked opponent.

OSU is scheduled to host No. 15 Illinois (11-4, 3-1) on Wednesday at St. John Arena.

The Buckeyes (11-5, 2-2) are coming off a weekend in which they won back-to-back matches at Iowa and Nebraska.

Junior outside hitter Elizabeth Campbell and senior setter Taylor Sherwin each received Big Ten weekly awards. Campbell was named Player of the Week, while Sherwin was named Setter of the Week.

Both players are set to go up against a Fighting Illini team that is led by two of this season’s Big Ten Player of the Week honorees in senior opposite side hitter Liz McMahon, a native of Liberty Township, Ohio, and redshirt-junior outside hitter Jocelynn Birks. The team is also led by a two-time Freshman of the Week in defensive specialist Brandi Donnelly.

Going into Wednesday’s match, Sherwin said the team doesn’t need to make many adjustments, as the Fighting Illini are very similar to the Cornhuskers. They do, however, stand out for one reason.

“They (don’t) run as quick of an offense,” Sherwin said.

Freshman outside hitter Ashley Wenz said the squad has the capability to continue having strong performances if it can keep up its focus.

“We’re a great team,” she said. “We just need to (focus) on certain little aspects of our game to make it great.”

The Buckeyes’ match against the Fighting Illini is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start.

Following Wednesday’s match, the Buckeyes are scheduled to face No. 24 Northwestern (13-2, 3-1) in Columbus on Saturday. That match is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and is set to air on Big Ten Network.