St. Francis senior guard Alexa Haywood (22) dribbles the ball during a game Nov. 16 against OSU at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 113-97. Credit: Tessa DiTirro / Lantern photographer

St. Francis senior guard Alexa Haywood (22) dribbles the ball during a game Nov. 16 against OSU at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 113-97.
Credit: Tessa DiTirro / Lantern photographer

After a disappointing loss to No. 24 Georgia on Wednesday night, the Ohio State women’s basketball team is set to close out a three-game home stand against Virginia Commonwealth.

The Buckeyes fell to a record of 1-2 for the season after losing to the Bulldogs, 67-59. Junior guard Cait Craft said the team felt pressured by the zone defense implemented by Georgia.

“They sat back in the zone, and it was completely our fault,” Craft said. “We didn’t attack it, it was all on us. We just settled for jump shots the whole game.”

The Buckeyes shot 13 of 39 from behind the 3-point arc in that game, a school record for most 3-point shots attempted in a single contest. Freshman guard Kelsey Mitchell said the team still has growing up to do and will need to come together for the game against the Rams on Sunday.

“It’s just the growing pains,” Mitchell said. “It’s just something you’ve got to grow through. I think it’s something we can and will get through as a team. I think we can overcome something like this.”

Mitchell led all scorers in the game against the Bulldogs. She scored 26 points, including 21 from 3-point land. Georgia coach Andy Landers praised the young guard after the game.

“She’s terrific,” Landers said. “She’s a terrific player, she’s got the bounce, she’s got the penetration, (and) she’s got the creativity. I think she’s going to see a lot of zone for the next four years.”

Landers went on to say that Mitchell reminded him of former Georgia player Saudia Roundtree. Like Mitchell, Roundtree was a WBCA High School All-American and was also named the Naismith College Player of the Year in 1996.

OSU will also look to get more scoring out of junior guard Ameryst Alston. After dropping a career-high 39 points against St. Francis (Pa.) last Sunday, Alston only managed to score five points off of 2-for-14 shooting from the field against the Bulldogs. Coach Kevin McGuff said Alston’s night was an apparition.

“It was tough,” McGuff said. “I thought she got good enough looks for her, she usually makes those shots.”

OSU is scheduled to face VCU on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.