sports_w_hockeyactual_WEB

OSU senior forward Taylor Kuehl (6) takes a shot on goal during a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15 at the OSU Ice Rink. OSU lost, 5-3. Credit: Ed Momot / For The Lantern

The Ohio State women’s hockey team snapped a losing streak, but couldn’t find a win during its weekend series against the University of North Dakota.

On Saturday, UND (6-7-2, 4-6-2) claimed a 4-3 win over the Buckeyes (7-7-1, 5-6-1-1).

The Buckeyes outshot and outscored UND in the first two periods of play. Then, in the third period UND claimed the game by scoring three straight goals before OSU came within one with seconds to play.

In the first period, senior forward Kayla Sullivan scored a goal at 6:18 to put OSU in the lead, 1-0. UND later tied the game at 1-1 after a goal before the end of the period.

The Buckeyes took the lead back in the second period when senior forward Taylor Kuehl scored off a power play. The tally was Kuehl’s fourth goal in the last three games.

UND started the third period down 2-1. They quickly responded with a goal from junior forward Shannon Kaiser, who scored her first goal of the season. Kaiser’s goal beat Buckeye redshirt-junior goalie Stacy Danczak to tie the game at two.

Less than a minute later UND scored to put it up 3-2. The team extended its lead to 4-2 later in the period.

The Buckeyes weren’t giving up though. With less than two minutes remaining OSU pulled Danczak for an extra attacker. With a six-on-five advantage, the Buckeyes scored.

Senior defenseman Kari Schmitt scored with only 10 seconds remaining in the period. Without enough time for the Buckeyes to take the game, they fell short.

OSU outshot UND, 27-21 and Danczak racked up a total of 17 saves.

In the Friday evening game, OSU scored a goal with two seconds remaining in the third period to tie the game and send it into overtime.

The Buckeyes went on to win a three round shootout, 1-0.

Sophomore forward Claudia Kelpler kept the Buckeyes in the game when she scored the goal to bring the game back to even. Already having scored earlier in the period, this goal was Kepler’s second of the game and fifth of the season.

UND took the first and second periods of the game. They scored one goal in each period to take a 2-0 lead over the Buckeyes.

However, OSU was able to rally late in the third period to put it back in the game.

The Buckeyes outshot UND 26-18.

OSU is set to head back on the road once again for a matchup against Robert Morris. The game is scheduled for Friday at 7 p.m. in Pittsburgh, Pa.