After just four seasons at the helm, the University of Michigan has fired its head football coach Brady Hoke.

The announcement came from the school’s interim athletic director Jim Hackett about an hour after multiple media outlets reported the firing.

The announcement comes just three days after Ohio State defeated Michigan 42-28.

Hoke, who led the Wolverines to its first BCS bowl win since 2006 in his first year as the teams head coach, has regressed each season as Michigan has finished the last three seasons 8-5, 7-6 and 5-7 respectively.

Hoke finished his head coaching career at Michigan with a 1-3 record against OSU, the lone win coming in 2011, his first season.

Hackett said that current sport administrator for Michigan’s Olympic sports teams Mike DeBord will oversee the football program until a hire is made. Hackett added that DeBord, who has collegiate and NFL coaching experience will not be a candidate for the permanent head coaching position.

Hoke came under scrutiny along with now former Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon after he put sophomore quarterback Shane Morris back into a game against Minnesota in which it appeared Morris had sustained a concussion.

At 5-7, Michigan will miss out on the post-season for the first time since the 2009 season in which they also went 5-7.

Hoke’s predecessor at Michigan, now Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez, was named the Pac-12 coach of the year Tuesday.