D’Angelo Russell (0) attempts a shot over Indiana sophomore guard Stanford Robinson (22) during a Jan. 25 game at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 82-70.  Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographer

D’Angelo Russell (0) attempts a shot over Indiana sophomore guard Stanford Robinson (22) during a Jan. 25 game at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 82-70.
Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographer

The Ohio State men’s and women’s basketball teams each had experienced starters returning this season, but so far a pair of freshmen have stolen the show.

That trend continued Monday afternoon when D’Angelo Russell from the men’s team and Kelsey Mitchell for the women were each named Big Ten Player of the Week and Freshman of the Week.

In two games — both wins — for the Buckeyes in the past week, Russell averaged 27.5 points, eight assists and 6.5 rebounds and made 21 of 32 total shot attempts. The run included a career-high 33 points in the win against Northwestern, and he did it without turning the ball over a single time.

Freshman guard Kelsey Mitchell (3) dribbles the ball during a game against Minnesota on Jan. 15 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 76-72. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Freshman guard Kelsey Mitchell (3) dribbles the ball during a game against Minnesota on Jan. 15 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 76-72.
Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Mitchell played just once to earn her honors, but made it count with 37 points in an overtime win against Purdue on the road. Of the 37 points, 31 came in the second half and overtime as she finished the game 13-of-14 from the free throw line.

Mitchell has been the conference player of the week two times, and the freshman of the week five times. Russell’s player of the week award was his first, but he’s been the rookie of the week four times.

Russell and the Buckeye men’s team are scheduled to return to the court Thursday against Maryland at the Schottenstein Center, while Mitchell and company are set to take on Wisconsin that same night in Madison, Wis.