Coach Urban Meyer (right), along with several OSU football players, speak to students and faculty during a student celebration of the Buckeyes' national championship victory on Jan. 23 in the Great Hall of the Ohio Union. Credit: Lauren Weitz / For The Lantern

Coach Urban Meyer (right), along with several OSU football players, speak to students and faculty during a student celebration of the Buckeyes’ national championship victory on Jan. 23 in the Great Hall of the Ohio Union. Credit: Lauren Weitz / For The Lantern

The weekend celebration of the Ohio State football team’s eighth national championship win kicked off Friday night in the Great Hall of the Ohio Union, where students gathered to celebrate the team’s 42-20 national championship victory over Oregon Jan. 12.

The event featured several speakers from the university, including Javaune Adams-Gaston, vice president for student life, who praised the football team’s accomplishments.

“This last season, you had the chance to see the football team do what they do best: be resilient and win,” she said.

Coach Urban Meyer, with the Block O cheering section standing behind him, acknowledged the student support of the team.

“On behalf of our coaching staff, on behalf of our athletic director Gene Smith, and most importantly on behalf of our football players, thank you for being here tonight,” he said. “As long as Dr. J and I are working together with Gene Smith, (the students) will always get pushed to the front of the line.”

Meyer even poked some fun at ESPN college football analyst Mark May, who said OSU was not worthy of being in the inaugural four-team college football playoff, by leading the students in a “we are worthy” chant.

Andrew Drozd, a third-year in neuroscience, said that while he hoped the Buckeyes still had a chance (after losing to Virginia Tech during week two), he didn’t expect to celebrate a national championship win.

“That was a disappointing loss, and (it was) really hard to rally back from it,” Drozd said of the Virginia Tech loss. “But we were in the ‘Shoe the next weekend, we all rallied, (and) we made it happen for sure.”

Students were also able to take part in a multitude of game-day traditions, including crowd surfing Brutus, and, to close out the celebration, locking arms and singing “Carmen Ohio.”

Drozd said he enjoyed having the chance to participate in the various school traditions at the event.

“Just to see everyone link up at the end and sing arm-in-arm ‘Carmen,’ it’s those traditions that make you want to come here and make you want to stay here and be a Buckeye for life,” he said.

Nathaniel Knight, a first-year in political science and music, said he has high hopes for the success of the football team in upcoming seasons.

“I think if we stay the course, we could do a repeat,” Knight said. “Honestly I think the class of 2018 might be the good luck charm.”