Home » Campus » Area » Obama announces plan to make student loan repayments easier

Obama announces plan to make student loan repayments easier

President Barack Obama announced an initiative on March 10 that aims to make it easier and more efficient for college students to pay back loans. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

There are about 1.97 million people in Ohio who have taken out student loans. That’s the equivalent of filling Ohio Stadium about 19 times.

And those people have piled up the sixth-biggest state debt in the country at more than $49.6 billion, according to information from the White House.

To try to combat the growing student debt problem, President Barack Obama announced an initiative on Tuesday that aims to make it easier and more efficient for students to pay back loans.

Five years after he signed student loan reform into law, Obama signed a presidential memorandum he called the “Student Aid Bill of Rights.” A presidential memorandum is similar to an executive order and is used to command government officials and agencies.

In this case, Obama is specifically directing the Department of Education and other federal agencies to work on making student loan payments more affordable.

“Higher education remains one of the best investments you can make in your future but also one of the best investments you can make in your country’s future,” the president said in a Wednesday conference call with college media. “The problem is it’s never been more expensive.”

The average undergraduate student graduates with about $28,000 in loans, the president said.

Obama said his memorandum aims to make student loan payments less complicated.

It will create a feedback system where students can voice their complaints about collectors, colleges, lenders and services, make sure their payments are affordable, that the process is fair and that students receive better customer feedback. The complaint system will be online and is set to be ready by July 2016.

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said the Student Aid Bill of Rights also affects lenders.

“We’re going to make sure that the banks that service federal loans are held to high standards and provide better information to borrowers,” he said on the conference call. “We’re raising the bar for debt collection to make sure that these charges to borrowers are reasonable and collectors are fair, transparent and help student borrowers get back on track when they might need help.”

Part of the plan also involves pushing students to take advantage of pay-as-you-earn, income-based payment plans, which allows students to pay only 10 percent of what they make.

Obama said when he announced the plan in a speech at Georgia Tech that these plans have been underutilized so far.

“It gives you an opportunity to make sure that if you make a career choice that doesn’t make tons of money, you’re still able to do the responsible thing and pay back your loans at a pace that allows you to build a family and buy a home and live your lives,” he said in the Georgia Tech speech.

Duncan added that there has been a four-fold increase in those payment plans over the past year, adding that there are about 3 million borrowers currently participating. That’s less than 10 percent of the total 40 million borrowers, though.

The plan comes roughly two months after Obama announced that he was putting a plan through to Congress that would make community college free for two years.

That initiative was met with pushback from Republican legislators who questioned where the money would come from to pay for the schooling.

But Ted Mitchell, under secretary for the Department of Education, said this plan hasn’t received much pushback yet.

“We hear that and we want to move as quickly as possible,” Mitchell said.

Duncan said keeping high-wage, high-skilled jobs stars in the country starts with education.

“We have to think about this as the continuum from cradle through to career and do everything we can to give every young person a chance to have a world-class education, and we need political leaders across the political spectrum to invest in education rather than walk away from it,” he said.

Rachael Collyer, a fourth-year in English and Spanish at Ohio State and a field organizer and Columbus campaign leader with the Ohio Student Association — a nonprofit organization aiming to cut down on student debt loans — said she’ll graduate with $20,000 in debt this May.

“I was always taught, ‘You play by the rules, you work hard, you go to school, and then you make grades, you should be able to achieve the American dream,’ but that’s actually become more and more difficult and just become much harder to pay for school and to pay off school,” she said.

She added that since Ohio has cut higher education funding from its budget in the past, it’s especially important for students to pay attention to college affordability problems, and added that the federal government could be doing more to help.

Ohio has enacted cuts to per student funding of 27 percent in the last five years, according to the Center for the Study of Education Policy at Illinois State University and the State Higher Education Executive Officers. Collyer said student loan debts have nearly doubled as well.

“The cost to go to school right now is really high, and (with) the amount of debt that students are struggling under, it seems like we should be investing in the state of our future and students are our future, and shouldn’t we be making it easier for people to achieve an education and stay in our state?” Collyer said.

Amanda Etchison contributed to this article.

1. Finding a genuine provider of financial instrument is very challenging but
    we are certified Financial Instrument providers in Ireland. Presently, we
    only focus on BG/SBLC for Lease and Sale transactions. However, our Lease
    BG/SBLC is 4+2% and Sale at 32+2%.

Should you find this interesting and acceptable? Kindly, contact us and we
    shall review and respond with draft Contract/MOU within 48hrs maximum.

Please request for full procedure details if interested.

For further inquiry contact:
    Name : Hugh mckeon
    E-mail : mchugh017@gmail.com
    Skype id :mchugh017@gmail.com

2. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Get the best 2018 celebration ever with our Blank ATM card and be a Millionaire, Cool way to have financial freedom!!! Are you tired of living a poor life, here is the opportunity you have been waiting for, We give out a Blank ATM Card. Do you want to live a good life thought its illegal, its the easiest way to be a millionaire. Get your card today and live that luxury life you always dream to live and to get this card, contact us via email: Atmcardcashmachine@gmail.com TO GET YOURS NOW

3. Get the best 2018 celebration ever with our Blank ATM card and be a Millionaire, Cool way to have financial freedom!!! Are you tired of … Get your card today and live that luxury life you always dream to live and to get this card, contact us via email:(blankatmcardmachine@gmail.com) TO GET YOURS NOW.

4. Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? Dr.Jose Antonio Easy Loans is the answer. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses via contact (ammmlimited@gmail.com)

5. Jamesolsen Terrazas

IQ FINANCE PLC provides a full financial planning service to both the commercial and domestic markets. At IQ FINANCE PLC we believe that financial planning is about two things: creating wealth and protecting wealth. These two objectives are at the heart of everything we do. And, as a member of IQ FINANCE Services, we give you a small-company service but with a large-company set up – the best of both worlds.

You are at liberty to engage our leased facilities into trade programs as well as in signature project(s) such as Aviation, Agriculture, Petroleum, Telecommunication, construction of Dams, Bridges and any other turnkey project(s) etc. Our terms and Conditions are reasonable.

Leasing Price : 4%+1%
    Buying Price: 32%+2%

Contact us for more details on our terms and procedure of transaction.

Jamesolsen Terrazas
    email : info.iqfinanceplc@gmail.com
    skype: cpt_young1

6. we provide leasing of instruments such as; Bank Guarantees (BGs), Medium Terms Notes (MTNs), Standby Letter of Credits (SBLCs), Letter of Credits (LC), Bank draft Project Finance ans Funding. We also provide Bank account opening services with United States, United Kingdom, China, Hong Kong, Spain, Switzerland, Poland, Belgium, Hungary, Japan, Banks.

we will have your projects funded such as Real Estate Development, Aviation Service, Agriculture Finance, Petroleum Importation, Telecommunication, construction of Dams or Bridges and all kind of projects, we fund 100% of the face value of the financial instrument.

Currently, H.S. Holdings LLC is looking for brokers and financial consultants that will work with us as our agents and representative.

Best Regards

H.S. Holdings LLC
    Sent by: Howard Steven
    7620 Tysons Boulevard McLean, Virginia 22102-4261 United States of America
    E-mail: howardsteven.h.s@gmail.com
    P: +18573099199

7. Do you need a private or business loans at 3% for different purposes If so,
    contact us now on our email: Harrybulluck345@gmail.com
    Amount needed:
    duration:
    country.
    mobile number

8. I Promise to Share This Loan Testimony Because of God Favor in My Life, i have being in search of loan over the internet and still was not able to get a loan because i’m blacklisted due to my bad credit score i lost my job and i lost my home i was living in the street frustrated without shelter or food , till one day i came across a testimony on the internet of how this company have been helping people with loans so i tried unfortunately my loan was granted without no collateral i applied for $100,000 i am so happy thanks be to shelter finances please in case you need a legit lender and a God fearing lender contact now here is their email :(shelterfinances@aol.com)

9. Hello, I am Sandra Alice currently living in USA california, I am a widow at the moment with two kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in June 2015 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Woman of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $105,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Shelter She doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about her and also i want God to bless her more. You can contact her through his email: (shelterfinances@aol.com)

10. Patricia Chandler

I am a private investor i give out secured guarantee loans to Business Men and women who are into Business transaction,automobile purchase, house purchase loan and other personal loans E.T.C. we give out long term loan for five to fifty years maximum with 3% interest rate. In this you can as well tell us the amount you need so that will can send you the terms and condition that is if you are really interested in getting a loan from us, Loans are given out in Euros, pounds and United States Dollar the maximum I give is $20,000,000 USD and the minimum $5,000 USD. I also render Collateral And Non- Collateral Loans For Your Business Start up. If interested contact us Now @:( patriciachandler40@gmail.com )

Mrs Patricia Chandler

11. Muhammed Emir Harun

We Facilitate Bank instruments SBLC for Lease and Purchase. Whether you are a new startup, medium or large establishment that needs a financial solution to fund/get your project off the ground or business looking for extra capital to expand your operation,our company renders credible and trusted bank guarantee provider who are willing to fund and give financing solutions that suits your specific business needs.

We help you secure and issue sblc and bank guarantee for your trade, projects and investment from top AA rated world Banks like HSBC, Barclays, Dutch Ing Bank, Llyods e.t.c because that is the best and safest strategy for our clients.e.t.c

DESCRIPTION OF INSTRUMENTS

1. Instrument: Funds backed Bank Guarantee(BG)

2. Currency : USD/EURO

3. Age of Issue: Fresh Cut

4. Term: One year and One day

5. Contract Amount: United State Dollars/Euros (Buyers Face Value)

6. Price : Buy:32%+1, Lease: 4%+2

7. Subsequent tranches: To be mutually agreed between both parties

8. Issuing Bank: Top RATED world banks like HSBC, Barclays, ING Dutch Bank, Llyods e.t.c

9. Delivery Term: Pre advise MT799 first. Followed By SWIFT MT760

10. Payment Term: MT799 & Settlement via MT103

11. Hard Copy: By Bank Bonded Courier

Interested Agents,Brokers, Investors and Individual proposing international project funding should contact us for directives.We will be glad to share our working procedures with you upon request.

Name: Muhammed Emir Harun

Contact Mail :info.financewizardltd@gmail.com

Skype: info.financewizardltd@gmail.com

12. We have direct providers of Fresh Cut BG, SBLC which are specifically for lease. Our bank instrument can be engaged in PPP Trading, Discounting, Signature Project(s) such as Aviation, Agriculture, Petroleum, Telecommunication, Construction of Dams,Bridges , Real Estate and all kind of projects.

If you have need for corporate loans, International project funding, etc. or if you have a client that requires funding for his project or business, We are also affiliated with lenders who specialise on funding against financial instruments, such as BG, SBLC, POF ,we fund 100% of the face value of the financial instrument.

DESCRIPTION OF INSTRUMENTS:
    1. Instrument: Bank Guarantee (BG/SBLC) (Appendix A)
    2. Total Face Value: Eur 1 MIN and Eur 5B MAX (Five Billion USD).
    3. Issuing Bank: HSBC, London or Deutsche Bank Frankfurt or any Top 25 WEB
    4. Age: One Year, One Day
    5. Leasing Fee: Based on the Face Value of BG/SBLC Plus (0.5% + X %) Commission.
    1M ? 50M: 3.0% + (0.5% + X%) = 3.5% + X%
    51M ? 100M: 2.5% + (0.5% + X%) = 3.0% + X%
    101M ? 500M: 2.0% + (0.5% + X%) = 2.5% + X%
    6. Delivery: Bank to Bank Swift MT799 and/or MT760
    7. Payment: MT103
    8. Hard Copy: By Bank Bonded Courier within 7 banking days after delivery of Swift.

Best Regards
    Hoang Altantsetseg
    Email: mandateallenfinance6675@gmail.com
    PH: +13362833097

13. INTRODUCTION TO ILLUMINATI

or you can ADD US ON WHATSAPP on this

Whatsapp; +1(506)710-0125

,It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs, including the planning of a New world order.
    Many world leaders, Presidents, prime ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune 5000 companies are members of Illuminati.

Now, for the FIRST TIME IN HISTORY ,we are opening our doors to the masses. If you would like to join illuminati, Just register with us today

ADD US ON WHATSAPP on this

WhtasApp; +1(506)710-0125

OR
    E-mail: join666fraternity(at)gmail(dot)com

BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW MEMBERSWHO JOIN ILLUMINATI.

A Cash Reward of USD $500,000A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at USD$120,000

A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice one Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination. One year Golf Membership package a V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the world a total Lifestyle change Access to Bohemian Groove One Month booked Appointment with top 5 world Leaders and Top 5 Celebrities in the World.’ ….

14. Dear Sir/Ma

We are one of the leading Financial instrument providers with offices all over Europe. We are major/Direct providers of Fresh Cut BG, SBLC, POF, MTN, Bonds and CDs and this financial instruments are specifically for lease and purchase, we always deliver on time and precision as Set forth in the agreement. You are at liberty to engage our leased and purchase facilities into trade programs, project financing, Credit line enhancement, Corporate Loans (Business Start-up Loans or Business Expansion Loans), Equipment Procurement Loans (Industrial Equipment, Air crafts, Ships, etc.) And many more, Our Terms and Conditions are reasonable.

DESCRIPTION OF INSTRUMENTS:
    1. Instrument: Bank Guarantee (BG)/SBLC (Appendix A)
    2. Total Face Value: 1M MIN to 50B MAX USD or Euro
    3. Issuing Bank: HSBC, Deutsche Bank Frankfurt, UBS or any Top 25 .
    4. Age: One Year, One Day
    5. Leasing Price: (3 % +2 % )
    6. Sale Price: (30 % + 2 %)
    7. Delivery by SWIFT .
    8. Payment: MT103
    9. Hard Copy: Bonded Courier within 7 banking days.

If you have need for Corporate loans, International project funding, etc. or if you have a client that requires funding for his project or business, We are also affiliated with lenders who specialize on funding against financial instruments, such as BG, SBLC, POF or MTN, we fund 100% of the face value of the financial instrument.Inquiries from agents/ brokers/ intermediaries are also welcomed; do get back to us if you are interested in any of our services and for quality service.PLS kindly contact US

Contact : Richard Harden
    Email : Financialsolvers.ltd@gmail.com

Regards with Gratitude,
    Richard Harden
    +1(479) 763-0597

15. Do you need a loan? Are you a business man / woman? Are you in any financial mess or you need funds to start your own business? or to pay off your bills or start a good business? if yes do contact us through email at (salliemaeconsumerbankingcompan@gmail.com) with the following information’s below: name: age: address: state: country: phone number: amount needed: loan duration: purpose of loan: contact us through email at (salliemaeconsumerbankingcompan@gmail.com) OR whatsapp us +1-(936)-298-8613 So get back to us now so that we can proceed okay. Thanks

16. Hello, I want to share with you this Honest Loan lending company that lend me a loan to start up a business and pay up my bills with low credit. i am very happy now. contact Email: Halifaxloan@fastservice. com

17. BLANK ATM CARD OFFER!!!

Dear Financial Seekers. Do you need FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE? Are you in financial mess OR debts? Here’s Mr Donald blank ATM card which will help make money without you being caught or trace as the card has it’s techniques of turning off the cameras when you are making a withdraw with the card.This blank ATM card which i thought it wasn’t real has helped me in achieving my dreams by helping me make enough money from the ATM machines without any stress my daily maximum withdraw through this card $5000 since i got this card i have been able to pay all my bills no one troubles me anymore concerning what i owned then before as this card has done for me a lot of goodies.Are you in poverty? Do you need financial assistance to set-up a business?Mr Dnald can assist you in giving you this card for only $200 to finalize all your worries. He will help you get over those financial obstacles. Interested Individual should contact Mr Harry via: Email:
    (donaldwilliamsatmhackingworld@gmail.com)Or what’sapp+19514832419