Robin Thicke was ordered this week to pay $7.3 million in damages for infringing upon Marvin Gaye’s No. 1 hit “Got to Give It Up” with his song "Blurred Lines." Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Robin Thicke was ordered this week to pay $7.3 million in damages for infringing upon Marvin Gaye’s No. 1 hit “Got to Give It Up” with his song “Blurred Lines.”
Credit: Courtesy of TNS

This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Miller High Life

Windell D. Middlebrooks, the actor best known for playing the Miller High Life delivery man in commercials, was found dead in his home Monday morning.

I’m more of an Anheuser-Busch kind of gal, but regardless of the hops you prefer, Middlebrooks was good at keeping it real in beer commercials.

Clydesdales and puppies are good at pulling on heartstrings and serving as clickbait. But a man knocking on your door telling you that a beer company wants to sponsor regular ol’ you, that there is the American Dream.

Pour one out and rest in peace.

‘Zoolander

Blue Steel is back, baby.

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson took the runway as Derek Zoolander and Hansel at the Maison Valentino show at Paris Fashion Week on Tuesday to announce the sequel to their 2001 comedy.

“Zoolander” is a comedy that pokes fun at the male modeling industry. “Zoolander” is also one of my most quoted movies and the movie my mother asks we watch every Christmas Eve.

A male model’s pursuit to save the prime minister of Malaysia is a lot like the story of the holy pregnant virgin, right?

‘Blurred Lines’

Robin Thicke, singer and professional douche, is known for singing about the blurred lines of consent, but he really should have been more concerned about the lines of copyright infringement.

Thicke and Pharrell Williams, the song’s co-writer, were ordered to pay $7.3 million in damages for infringing upon Marvin Gaye’s No. 1 hit “Got to Give It Up.”

Some people have said this opens the floodgates of artists claiming others stole their precious intellectual property.

I think, considering that Thicke’s last album, “Paula,” completely flopped — it sold just 24,000 copies the first week in the U.S. — maybe he really should give it up.

‘The Bachelor’

The second-best way to watch “The Bachelor” is to catch the first few episodes and then the finale. You learn just enough about who everyone is to be remotely excited when one of them gets the bling.

The best way to watch, however, is to not watch at all.

On Monday night, Whitney got the ring from filthy rich farmer-turned-Bachelor, Chris.

My roommate and I already knew this thanks to Reality Steve, a blogger who is known for predicting results that matter, such as winners of “The Bachelor.”

In the after show, ”After the Final Rose,” it was announced that the next season of “The Bachelorette” will feature not one, but two girls from the past season. The male contestants will then decide in the first episode which Bachelorette they want the season to revolve around.

Because there really wasn’t enough girl-on-girl cattiness already.