Models during last year's FPA Fashion Show. Credit: Amanda Etchison / Campus editor

Models during last year’s FPA Fashion Show. Credit: Amanda Etchison / Campus editor

“Project Runway” mentor Tim Gunn is known for clapping his hands and saying, “Designers, make it work.”

The OSU Fashion Production Association makes it work every year with an annual fashion show. Each year’s show has a theme, and this year’s is “Unwritten: From Page to Stage,” with designs based on different literary genres.

Taylor Smith, a fourth-year in fashion and retail studies and director of design for FPA, said the show is divided into five different acts covering the genres of classics, poetry, teen fiction, romance and fantasy.

“A lot of (the classics genre) is structured garments like coats with a kind of old-fashioned kind of feel,” Smith said.

The poetry act will feature flirty, floral skirts and dresses in bright colors. Garments in the teen fiction act will be streetwear style with leather and metal while garments in romance are mostly evening gowns.

“(Fantasy) is over the top, crazy garments and creatures,” Smith said. “A lot of people will have accessories like masks and wings.”

Anna Busi, a fourth-year in marketing and president of FPA, said about 30 students have designs in the show each year and the majority of the students sew their own garments.

“It’s great for designers because the fashion and retail studies major over the years has turned into more of a business of retail degree,” Busi said. “Our organization is, besides a few classes, one of the last things that lets you sew and create your own design.”

The fashion show is a year-long project for FPA. Smith said designers start sketching and making inspiration boards in September and many start sewing in November.

Meanwhile, the production team works behind the scenes on script writing, stage layout, model coordination, promotion, music and lighting.

Alyssa Martig, a fourth-year in fashion and retail studies and director of marketing for FPA, said the show is a collaborative effort between both the design team and the production team, and requires good communication.

“Initially when I joined, I was skeptical because for a full year you’re just planning something you don’t get to see it solidify or come to life,” Martig said. “But then in April, I’m like, ‘Oh my gosh, this is what we did all year. This is what everyone’s been working on and it’s wonderful.’”

The FPA fashion show takes place in the Archie Griffin Ballroom at the Ohio Union on Saturday. A silent auction of products and gift cards from local businesses starts at 7 p.m. with the show starting at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for non-students.