Then-senior wide receiver Devin Smith (9) catches a touchdown during a game against Illinois on Nov. 1 at Ohio Stadium. OSU won 55-14.

Then-senior wide receiver Devin Smith (9) catches a touchdown during a game against Illinois on Nov. 1 at Ohio Stadium. OSU won 55-14. Credit: Lantern file photo

Former Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith has been selected by the New York Jets with the 37th pick in the second round of the 2015 NFL draft. This marks the fourth consecutive year a former Buckeye has been taken in the second round.

Smith ended his OSU career with 2,503 receiving yards and 30 touchdown receptions. During his senior season in 2014, he had a team-leading 931 receiving yards and 12 touchdown catches. He led the nation among qualified receivers with an average of 28.2 yards per reception and was an All-Big Ten honorable mention in both 2013 and 2014.

In 2011 as a true freshman, Smith saw considerable playing time, catching 14 passes for 294 yards. He also caught four touchdowns — including a 40-yard heave from then-freshman quarterback Braxton Miller as time winded down to pull off the upset of Wisconsin.

As a sophomore, Smith started 10 games. He more than doubled his receiving yards from the previous season, racking up 618 yards on 30 catches and a team-leading 6 touchdown receptions. Much like as a freshman, one of his touchdowns came in highlight reel fashion. This time, it was a spectacular one-handed grab as he tumbled to the turf against Miami (Ohio).

The following season, he continued on his upward trajectory. As a junior, he tallied then-career highs in receptions (44), receiving yards (660), and touchdowns (eight).

He established himself as a legitimate NFL prospect during OSU’s three-game national title run, specifically against Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game and Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Against the Badgers, Smith caught four passes for 137 yards and three scores. Then versus the Crimson Tide, he tallied 87 yards on two receptions, with a touchdown.

The Jets were lead in receiving by Eric Decker during the 2014-15 season with 962 yards. They traded for receiver Brandon Marshall during the offseason.

New York is scheduled to open the 2015-16 season Sept. 13 against the Cleveland Browns at 1 p.m.