OSU senior midfielder Zach Mason (7) prepares to kick the ball during a game against Penn State on Sept. 20 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU tied 1-1. Credit: Ed Momot

After tying two top-ranked teams, the Ohio State men’s soccer team could be beginning to find its momentum.

The Buckeyes had a rough start to the season, losing four straight games. However, in their last two games they managed to pull out ties against No. 11 Akron and No. 13 Penn State, making members of the team more optimistic moving forward.

“Goals are starting to fall, people are feeling good, and the team’s chemistry is getting there. I think overall, we are in a good spot,” OSU junior midfielder Henry Chancy said.

The Buckeyes are preparing for another battle on their home field against Dayton at 7 p.m. on Friday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

For some of the players, it will be their first time going against the Flyers. But for one, the faces across the field will be very familiar.

OSU senior goalkeeper Chris Froschauer will have the opportunity to battle against his former team and teammates on Friday.

“I feel like I made the right decision transferring,” Froschauer said. “I enjoyed my time at Dayton and I enjoy my time here. I’m just going to take it like it’s another game.”

Despite being put face-to-face with his former team, Froschauer said he wants to make this game a team effort and not make the game about him.

The Buckeyes are going into Friday’s game with a winning mindset, especially after proving to be able to keep up with the best.

“Getting two good results builds your confidence a little bit,” Chancy said. “Coming into a game like Dayton is definitely a winnable game.”

Dayton will mark the second in-state opponent on the Buckeyes’ schedule after Akron.

“It’s going to be a big game,” Froschauer said. “It will be a lot of energy on both sides.”

Team honor

For the second consecutive year and third overall, the National Soccer Coaches Association of America honored the OSU men’s soccer team as 2014-15 Collegiate Team Academic Award winners.

OSU was one of five Big Ten men’s programs selected for the award. In total, 859 soccer teams, men’s and women’s, posted GPA of 3.0 or higher in the 2014-15 academic year.

What’s next?

Following Friday’s game, the Buckeyes are scheduled to face Louisville at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

Correction Sept. 24: An earlier version of the story said 859 teams posted an average GPA of 3.0, when in fact 859 teams individually had a GPA of 3.0 or higher.