OSU redshirt sophomore midfield/back Carolina Vergroessen (28) runs with the ball while being trailed by California players during a field hockey game on Oct. 25, 2015, at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won 6-3.

OSU redshirt sophomore midfield/back Carolina Vergroessen (28) runs with the ball while being trailed by California players during a field hockey game on Oct. 25, 2015, at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won 6-3. Credit: Robert Scarpinito / Copy Chief 

Three goals were enough for Michigan to take down the Ohio State field hockey team on Saturday afternoon in Ann Arbor, Michigan, during the regular season finale.

The victory is the No. 11 Wolverines’ (15-3, 7-1) ninth straight win and third straight shutout this season.  The loss drops the Buckeyes to .500 for the season and conference play.

OSU (9-9, 4-4) was unable to break through Michigan’s stout defense, but even with the loss, the Buckeyes finish their season in a tie for fourth place in the Big Ten.

Sophomore goalie Liz Tamburro had a busy day as the Wolverines outshot the Scarlet and Gray 19-1. The Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, native was faced with an array of shot attempts all game long. She tallied eight total saves on the night.

A little more than 11 minutes into the game, Michigan freshman forward Emma Way struck first with a rebound off a penalty corner shot. For the remainder of the half, the Buckeyes’ defense stood tall and stunted Michigan’s attempts.

Nearing halftime, OSU had a window of opportunity to level the match after Michigan senior back Lauren Thomas was called for a 10-minute yellow card, meaning the Buckeyes had a one-player advantage. Four minutes later when senior midfielder Jaime Dean committed a foul, OSU had a two-player advantage but even with it, the Buckeyes could not tie the game.

The Scarlet and Gray kept its deficit to just one goal for much of the second half, but with 12 minutes left on the clock, the wheels began to fall off for OSU.

Thomas — back from her yellow card — converted from the top of the circle. Then redshirt senior back Mackenzie Ellis scored the game-clinching goal on a rebound off a corner shot a mere three minutes later.

With the regular season in the books, OSU will begin to prepare for its opening-round matchup against Northwestern in the Big Ten tournament. The Buckeyes fell to the Wildcats 2-0 on Oct. 23 in their only meeting this season. The rematch — which is the first of the tournament — is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. on Thursday in Bloomington, Indiana.