With winter approaching, so are days spent at home hunkered down with new and old favorite music. Columbus has plenty of record stores to choose from, and these six are all on North High Street. Between these stores you can get most any format of music, devices to play it on, see it played live and wear it around. Even if you don’t buy anything, enjoying the atmosphere of these record stores is free.

Lost Weekend

2960 N. High St. (Clintonville)

Lost Weekend Records looks and feels like a residential house, but it’s where music resides. The records are separated into rooms: one for pop and rock, and one for country, folk and ‘80s. It offers more used than new records, and it also offers some tapes and music magazines. Lost Weekend boasts a section of records and CDs dedicated to Ohio-based artists and displays local art on the walls. It also helps local bands press records through its record label and hosts in-store shows multiple times a year.

Records Per Minute

2579 N. High St. (Old North)

Owner Steve Louis has been selling records since 1991. He never has and never will move to digital music because he believes there is no connection to the music without a physical copy. The current location in Old North has been open for three years now and offers a 50-50 ratio between new, never-been-played records and used records. There are limited amounts of CDs, books and DVDs, but Louis estimated that he has close to 20,000 7-inch records to sell for $1 each. The walls are adorned with rare music posters and band T-shirts for sale as well.

Some refurbished stereos at Used Kids Records located at 1980 N. High St. Credit: Hannah Herner | Lantern Reporter

Used Kids Records

1980 N. High St. (University District)

Up the stairwell collaged with fliers for musical events lies Used Kids Records. Used Kids lives up to its name by offering a large selection of used records in an effort to keep prices down, but it also has a fair amount of new vinyl. It offers refurbished sound equipment such as turntables and stereos in addition to new and old CDs and a growing cassette collection. Used Kids hosts shows in-store a couple times a week and offers a selection of music and arts-related zines as well. On the way out, patrons can grab free records at the bottom of the stairs that didn’t make the cut to be sold in the store.

Johnny Go’s House O’ Music

1900 N. High St. (University District)

This record store has a little bit of everything, but you’ll have to dig through some of the clutter to uncover gems in vinyl, CDs and cassette tapes. There are also plenty pop-culture related posters in the store. Johnny Go himself has been running the place since 1989,  but the future is indefinite for Johnny Go’s, as Campus Partners is taking over this area of High Street.

Roots Records

1357 N. High St. (University District)

Roots Records has been specializing in reggae music since 1997. Contrary to many record stores, Roots is light on the indie rock and heavy on the reggae, African, blues and punk. It also offers some clothing and a large selection of hats. Roots promotes touring artists in the genres it specializes in, as well by hanging up flyers around the store.

Magnolia Thunderpussy

Some metal records at Magnolia Thunderpussy located at 1155 N. High St. Credit: Hannah Herner | Lantern Reporter

1155 N. High St. (Short North)

Magnolia Thunderpussy has been around the longest of the High Street stores, since 1969. The front half of the store is CDs and DVDs, and the back half is records. While offering a range of genres in new and used records, it is known for the selection of metal and hip-hop vinyl. There is a local music section and a section dedicated to concert DVDs and music-related documentaries. It’s hosted national acts such as Chrvches and All Time Low in-store in the past, and the store continues to host a few shows a year.  Magnolia also offers a selection of T-shirts, incense, posters, band patches and stickers and some audio equipment.