David McQuaid will step into the role chief operations officer of the Wexner Medical Center and chief executive officer of the OSU Health System. He is expected to begin serving in both roles Feb. 1, with approval from the university board of trustees. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

David McQuaid will step into the role chief operations officer of the Wexner Medical Center and chief executive officer of the OSU Health System. He is expected to begin serving in both roles on Feb. 1, with approval from the university board of trustees. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Ohio State has chosen a new chief operations officer of the Wexner Medical Center to fill the position left by the resignation of Peter Geier in December.

David McQuaid will step into the role of Wexner chief operations officer and chief executive officer of the OSU Health System. He is expected to begin serving on Feb. 1, with approval from the university Board of Trustees.

McQuaid has the experience to handle business development, clinical operations and fiscal accountability, said Dr. Sheldon Retchin, Wexner CEO and executive vice president of health sciences.

“We’re pleased to welcome David McQuaid to Ohio State,” Retchin said in an OSU statement. “He’s spent the last 25 years leading academic hospitals and hospital systems to greatness through financial and operational improvements. David brings a strong combination of expertise and leadership that’s needed to help the Wexner Medical Center and the Health System continue to expand and excel.”

As CEO of the University Health System, McQuaid will oversee the operations of six university hospitals and the Ohio State Primary Care and Ambulatory Networks, according to the release.

McQuaid left Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals in Philadelphia last year after serving as executive vice president for clinical affairs and president and CEO.

He also served as CEO for Durham Regional Hospital within the Duke University Health System. He earned a master’s of business administration at University of New Hampshire, as well as a bachelor’s in pharmacy from the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

Geier resigned from his leadership positions at the Wexner and University Health System on Dec. 1 after being sought by the university “to help improve its operating efficiency and financial operations,” according to an OSU release in January.

“It has been an honor to serve this university,” he said in the release. “I have accomplished everything I set out to do. Stepping down from my positions at Ohio State is something I have contemplated for some time, and the time is now right, as the medical center is on solid financial ground and our quality and safety are among the best in the country.”

Marti Taylor, executive director of University Hospital and the Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital, is serving as the interim COO of Wexner Medical Center and CEO of the University Health System until Feb. 1, said Marti Leitch, senior manager of media relations for Wexner Medical Center.

McQuaid’s annual salary is expected to be $730,000, Leitch said. The university Board of Trustees will vote to approve McQuaid’s appointment in both positions on Jan. 29.