OSU sophomore Nicolas Szerszen (9) prepares to spike the ball during a match against George Mason on Jan. 15. OSU won 3-0. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

OSU sophomore Nicolas Szerszen (9) prepares to spike the ball during a match against George Mason on Jan. 15. OSU won 3-0.
Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Nicolas Szerszen, a sophomore on the Ohio State men’s volleyball team, was named offensive player of the week by the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association for the second straight week for the week of Jan. 18.

The 6-foot-4 outside attacker has been dominating on the floor amid his team’s four-game win streak. In the Jan. 22 match against Coker, Szerszen finished with 21 attacks through in the match’s three sets with a hitting percentage of .333. He also scored 18 serving points, with a .944 serving percentage.  

Szerszen said it “definitely feels good” to get personal titles, but he stressed that his main focus is on the team.

“If I can get titles and help them win is even better,” he said.

His success, according to OSU coach Pete Hanson, comes from his growth this year compared to his freshman season. Despite starting all 30 games last season, with a year under his belt, Szerszen is beginning to hit his stride as a collegiate athlete.

“What is happening with Nicolas is he is maturing,” Hanson said. “He is understanding what college volleyball is all about. He’s kind of figured it out.”

Szerszen first started playing volleyball with his family when he was only 6 years old and started competing on a team around the age of 12. He has been actively partaking in his family’s love for volleyball ever since.

In addition to suiting up for the Scarlet and Gray, Szerszen, whose hometown is Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, France, is a member of his country’s national team pipeline.

He had made his choice to cross the Atlantic and come to Columbus to play volleyball based on his sister. His sister suited up for the OSU women’s volleyball team when she was in college from 2006-2010. In addition to his successful year on the court, he was recently accepted to the mechanical engineering major at OSU.

Szerszen said the university, from the sites he walks by on a daily basis to the place where he gives it his all for his volleyball team, already holds a special place in his heart.

“I like St. John Arena because it’s the place I am when I’m doing what I like, but other than that I walk through The Oval almost every morning and I think it’s a unique place to this university,” Szerszen stated.

The team’s next match is scheduled for Friday in Illinois against Quincy University. After that, the next home contest is slated for Thursday against Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.