nathan_tomasello_wrestling

OSU redshirt sophomore Nathan Tomasello wrestles against University of Nebraska’s Tim Lambert during a match against University of Nebraska at St. John Arena on Jan. 17. OSU won 21-17. Credit: Muyao Shen | Asst. Photo Editor

It didn’t take long for redshirt sophomore Nathan Tomasello to set the tone for Ohio State in its dual-meet matchup against Michigan State.

After scoring the first takedown of the night, the national champion in the 125-pound weight class last season never looked back, taking control of his match in every way imaginable.

Tomasello would eventually win via technical fall over redshirt sophomore Mitch Rogaliner, 21-6.

That win gave Tomasello 31 straight wins, dating back to last year.

It was that kind of afternoon for the Scarlet and Gray.

After beating Nebraska in a close dual-meet the week before, the Buckeyes were looking for a dominant performance against the Spartans.

And a dominant performance was exactly what the team accomplished.

The match took place at Walsh Jesuit High School, making it a homecoming for redshirt senior Johnni DiJulius.

The team trip to the greater Cleveland area was something that OSU coach Tom Ryan had promised to DiJulius when he signed with the Buckeyes.

Taking part in his first match at his former high school in nearly five years, DiJulius emerged victorious, winning 5-2.

DiJulius is the active career wins leader at OSU, with Sunday giving him 109 total wins.

The win by the Aurora, Ohio, native gave the Buckeyes an 8-0 advantage heading into the 141-pound weight class.

The normal starter for OSU at this weight, redshirt freshman Micah Jordan, was scratched from the lineup and replaced by redshirt junior Stanley Hendrix.

Hendrix lost via fall in the first period to redshirt sophomore Javier Gasca.

The fall allowed Michigan State to inch closer, cutting the deficit to 8-6.

It was the closest the Spartans would come to a lead.

Redshirt senior Hunter Stieber returned after missing the previous match with the flu, and he looked like he hadn’t lost a step.

The rejuvenated Stieber performed well, taking home a 14-5 victory at the 149-pound weight class.

The win was the first on the season for Stieber, and it was a big step forward after offseason surgery.

Coming off a thrilling overtime victory the previous week, Jake Ryan made sure there were no dramatics this week.

The redshirt freshman took a 6-3 lead in the first on his way to a 10-6 win to extend the OSU team lead to 15-6.

In the next weight class of 165, Buckeye fans were given a collective sigh of relief with the return of redshirt sophomore Bo Jordan.

The All-American and runner-up from the Big Ten championships last year came back from a pulled muscle last week to score a fall with a minute left in the match and give OSU six more team points.

Jordan is now 10-0 this season and maintains a firm hold on his No. 2 national rank.

Up next for the Scarlet and Gray at 174 was freshman Myles Martin.

Martin has earned an impressive record of for himself in his first year and picked up another win against redshirt freshman Shane Shadaia to bring his season tally to 21-3.

With riding time, Martin won by a final tally of 19-4, giving the Buckeyes six individuals victories on the day at that point.

With the team score in favor of OSU, 27-6, redshirt senior Kenny Courts took the mat against redshirt freshman Shwan Shadaia.

Courts picked up an early lead with a takedown, and controlled throughout the match.

After scoring a final takedown in the closing moments, Courts earned an impressive 10-3 victory.

With the return of Kyle Snyder last week at heavyweight, Josh Fox got the start at 197.

On Sunday, it was the same scenario for the redshirt junior.

After being locked in a defensive battle throughout regulation, Fox ultimately dropped the bout in overtime to freshman Jacob Cooper of Michigan State.

Cooper scored two points in overtime to put him over the top.

With the dual-meet firmly in hand for the Buckeyes, the last match was an exclamation point on a statement victory for OSU.

Redshirt junior Nick Tavanello got the start at heavyweight for the Scarlet and Gray against redshirt junior Dimitrus Renfroe of the Spartans.

After a slow first period with limited scoring, Tavanello took over the match, earning a 13-1 major decision.

The final major decision of the day by the Buckeyes gave the team a 33-9 win.

Such a dominant outing should instill confidence back into the team, and could stand to propel it forward through the rest of Big Ten play.

Big Ten conference meets are set to continue on Friday for the Scarlet and Gray, when the team travels to Bloomington, Indiana to face the Hoosiers.

Indiana is currently 6-2 on the season, and 3-2 in the Big Ten.