Sophomore midfielder Emily Mongno (28) runs with the ball during a game against Detroit on Feb. 13 at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. OSU won 22-8. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Sophomore midfielder Emily Mongno (28) runs with the ball during a game against Detroit on Feb. 13 at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. OSU won 22-8.
Credit: Courtesy of OSU

The No. 16 Ohio State women’s lacrosse team broke even over the weekend in California, returning to Columbus with a record of 2-1 after the two-game split.

The Buckeyes meant business when they set foot in Berkeley, California, edging out California (0-1) 16-15 in overtime on Friday night.

OSU started off strong, scoring the match’s first four goals en route to building a 9-6 lead at halftime. The Buckeyes found their rhythm early and were able to maintain it through the beginning of the second half, scoring four of the first five goals.

The game was back-and-forth, but OSU led 15-13 with five minutes left, giving the team some confidence that a win was near. The Buckeyes couldn’t celebrate too soon, though, as the Golden Bears responded with back-to-back goals to tie the score, forcing the game into overtime.

Senior attackman Cian Dabrowski has been dubbed a team leader and she showed why a mere 30 seconds into the extra time, scoring the game-winning goal.

Dabrowski scored four goals on the day, and senior attackman Rainey Hodgson added four goals and two assists as she continued to make an impact in the attacking end. Sophomore midfielder Molly Wood dominated the game with a career-high 13 draw controls for OSU, as well as two goals and two assists.

The Buckeyes led draw controls 21-13 and finished the day with 33 shots.

On Sunday, the outcome wasn’t as fortunate for OSU, as the team dropped 18-7 on the road at No. 14 Stanford (2-1).

The Cardinal threatened to make it ugly early by opening up a 6-0 lead just seven minutes into the game, but the Buckeyes responded quickly with three straight goals. This made it a close 6-3 score with 14 minutes left in the first.

Stanford added two more goals to OSU’s one, making it a 9-4 Cardinal lead at halftime. Stanford continued its offensive dominance as it scored the first two goals of the second half, before Wood and Dabrowski scored back-to-back goals to make it 13-6 with 20 minutes on the clock.

There wasn’t much action left for the duration of the game, as the scored ended at 18-7 in favor of the Cardinal.

Senior goalkeeper Katie Frederick had her first loss of the season, making four saves with nine goals against. Abigail Wise, sophomore goalkeeper, made two saves in 38 minutes of relief work.

The Buckeye co-captain duo of Dabrowski and Hodgson combined for five goals and one assist on the day. Despite the offensive efforts, the Cardinal still managed to hold a 28-15 shot advantage.

Defensively, the Buckeyes forced eight Stanford turnovers to OSU’s five, although it wasn’t enough to secure a win.

The Scarlet and Gray are next set to return home to face Duquesne on Feb. 28 in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center at 2 p.m.